405 diesel cambelt change

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carawagon

405 diesel cambelt change

Post by carawagon »

can someone tell me what the timing marks are, and where i should set them to. thanks
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Timing is set by screwing 8mm bolts through the holes in pulleys and into their corresponding threaded hole, into the cylinder head for the camshaft pulley, and the injection pump mounting bracket for the pump pulley.
Note that there are two holes in the injection pump pulley, only one needs be used for timing but they MUST BOTH be aligned with their respective holes in the pump bracket, the reason for having two is so the pump can be removed without disturbing the timing belt, the belted pulley is then held in position by both bolts while the pump is removed.
The crankshaft is held at its timing location by an 8mm dowel inserted into the flywheel through a hole in the block flange behind the starter motor, all timing probes must be inserted at all three locations at the same time.
The hole behind the sarter motor is difficult to find for the first timers doing belt changes, but once you have done one you can find it blindfold, for this reason it may be best to take the motor off.
A word of warning on the crank pulley bolt, this is best loosened with the engine hot because of locking compound applied to the thread, the thread is standard right hand.
Turn the engine by hand when the belt is fitted and make sure all probes will go into their locations, lots of folk get it wrong and start asking daft questions like why their engine makes a racket.
Dave
p.s. Carawagon aye, have you got one.
carawagon

Post by carawagon »

Thanks Dave
That really helps, yes I do have a series III Carawagon with a 200 tdi in her. so used to working on landies but peugot that is a different story!
Thanks again
Rick (Carawagon)
carawagon

Post by carawagon »

Thank you dave it worked and only took me about 20 minutes, great instructions