xantia rear struts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

xantia rear struts

Post by john alexander »

drove my xantia estate with the suspension set high Yes I know Im an a******e .big bang followed by a street full of green ,I think I've burst strut seals ????? on drivers side at rear. When you all stop laughing how do you strip these out to change them as Im supposed to be going on holliday with it on wed .Thank in advance john
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Strut seals ??
There are no strut seals on the rear. There is a dust protective rubber gaiter, which do not hold any fluid under pressure, but has a leak-off hose for the seepage leakage from the cylinder.
It may be the piston rod has dislodged, allowing the cylinder piston to shoot out, or the rod has snapped.
This can be ascertained by jacking up the rear, and then investigate both side's cylinder gaiter's.
Might even be a weak rigid pipe which has burst under the high pressure in the High suspension setting. As the pressure in the supension is not limited by the height correctors in Hi setting, you get the full system pressure applied to the suspension ...
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

thanks it was a broken rod which cracked the piston letting the fluid leak . as there was no pressure left in the back I did n,t depressurise the system will this cause me a problem when I fit the new strut. what is citarobics???? thanks.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

John -
As you had a leak, the suspension was defo depressurised [:)]
Depressuring the system means taking off the pressure.
The problem MIGHT be you run into trouble removing the sphere on the offended cylinder, as the cylinder is free to move with no suspension pressure.
You do not actually need a new cylinder or remove the old one, neither do you need to remove the sphere.
It's the snapped rod that needs to be replaced. The piston can be cleaned and carefully re-inserted. Possibly the gaiter is exploded and must also be replaced. Remember to get a new clamp for the gaiter.
The piston rod is located on the rear swing arm with a clip, which is the first thing to remove. Then the rubber gaiter is free one end together with the snapped rod bits. The opposite end you have a simple clamp to hold the gaiter.
Click here : Citaerobics explained.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

thanks but the piston the broken rod sits in has cracked down the side ,so the lot had to come out .thanks for spending the time to help,this forum is invaluable. john