White smoke and residue

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pmjones79

White smoke and residue

Post by pmjones79 »

Hello,
On my way home from work today my Peugeot 2008 1.6HDI starting kicking out a lot of white smoke.
This was worse when accelerating.
I did have a message about DPF filter possibly being blocked flash on the dash for a split second. Not really long enough to take in exactly what it said.
Since being home I have plugged in my OBD2 reader but no faults showing.
I haven't checked the oil and coolant levels yet. The car is still too hot.
I had a quick look at the exhaust end pipe and noticed a white residue. (I have attached a photo).
I did top up the Adblue while in work today but can't see how this could cause white smoke.
I have fallen out of love with my Peugeot 2008 after the issues it has thrown at me this last month:cry:.
Has anyone else experience this?
I hope it isn't the turbo.
Attachments
White residue on exhaust tip
White residue on exhaust tip

pmjones79

Re: White smoke and residue

Post by pmjones79 »

I've just been back out to the car.
Oil and coolant levels are all fine and don't appear to have budged since last time I checked so that seems positive.
I took the car for another drive and after the engine warmed up it started smoking again.
When I got home I left the engine running and tried to smell the exhaust. It smells like ammonia to me so I am making a guess that it is over dosing the Adblue.
This would point to the NOx sensor.
Is this something I can change myself? I am an electrician, albeit not an auto-electrician.
Has anyone changed one?
Do you know the part number?
Any advice, photos, manuals?
Thank you

white exec
Moderating Team

Re: White smoke and residue

Post by white exec »

Take it for a good 20-mile fast run down the motorway, and take another look . . . that's my guess.
Others here may have a better diagnosis :-$