Xantia front anti roll bar rubber bushings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aerodynamica

Xantia front anti roll bar rubber bushings

Post by aerodynamica »

I have a terrible creaking coming from these bushings at the front. I want to know if these rubbers are supposed to firmly grip the roll bar and the twisting is all done by the rubber (just like the lower arm bushings) or is the roll bar supposed to rotate and slip within the rubber.

I wonder because the creaking suggests they are slipping in the rubber and I don't want to consider rubber grease or anything before I learn of the correct relationship. Haynes book is completely vague on this (doesn't even tell you!)

aerodynamica

Re: Xantia front anti roll bar rubber bushings

Post by aerodynamica »

Thinking a bit further, I wouldn't expect the roll bar would be designed to slip within the rubber because that constant shearing action between the rubber and the metal would surely wear out in short time! So surely the rubber is supposed to be firmly gripping the roll bar and the rubber twists like the lower arm bushings. Someone on the FB group suggested rubber-compatible grease but that just doesn't seem right?

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

If wear on black 'rubber' ARB bushings is a problem, I've had really good results using polyurethane ones (from companies like Powerflex). The RAV4 used to eat the OE 'rubber' ones, but some PU replacements just soldiered on.
These are fitted with a smear of PU grease around the RB.

aerodynamica

Post by aerodynamica »

Thanks Chris, I'd love PU ones for ALL of the Xantia's terrible lower arm rubbers!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The hold and locate the ARB in position Graeme but don't 'flex' in the conventional way... They act more as bearings and I've never known them wear...

The ARB should be held firmly but be free to rotate.

Some sort of lubrication may help. Does the creaking stop when it rains? It was always my experience of several of my Xantias!

tich731

Post by tich731 »

Is the creak from the ARB bushes?

I have just cured a serious creaking on the OSF of my XM. It felt like it was coming from the strut, but further examination revealed it was the droplink. The upper balljoint had become amazingly stiff. A new Lemforder droplink has cured the problem.