Central Locking - Not Locking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Phil Harmonic
My Cars:

Central Locking - Not Locking

Post by Phil Harmonic »

1997 P Reg 306 D Turbo.
Can anyone specify a procedure to determine the reason why the central locking on my son's 306 does not work. All 3 doors will lock on the turn of the key but none locks centrally either by key nor the remote key fob. All we've done so far is put new batteries in the key.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I know some of these had a tendancy to go out of sync. Dealers at the time were replacing keyfobs to fix the problem.
I'm not sure if they can be resynched in the same way as the Citroen units. And I can't remember the exact procedure for them. It's on teh Citroen board somewhere though.
Phil Harmonic
My Cars:

Post by Phil Harmonic »

Thanks Homer. I'll try to find the 'synch' thread but meantime, if the central locking does not work even using the key in the lock - it probably means that 'out of synch' is not the cause. Do you agree?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Oops, misread your first post.
Has it been like this since he got the car?
If so then I suspect somebody has disabled it due to some other fault they couldn't be bothered to rectify. Often a faulty solenoid or bad connection can cause the system to unlock immediately after locking.
Phil Harmonic
My Cars:

Post by Phil Harmonic »

Homer - no, it was working when he bought the car and as far as he can remember (it's not been working for some time now), it stopped working 'all of a sudden' - it didn't go dodgy first but stopped immediately. What I'm looking for is a method to test 1. the sensor;2. the conrol unit;3. the lock motors and anything else involved. I suspect that because the system is completely dead that it's the control unit and I have half a suspicion that when my boy and his mates installed some ICE in the car, they ran some cables down the side of car where the control unit is installed and they may have affected it in some way. What do you think. I could just take the seat out, pull up the carpet to have a look, but I'd like to know what to do when I get there. If I have to replace the control unit - will the existing transmitter still work; does the sensor have to change as well. Do we need a full set of everything, I suppose.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The micro switch in the drivers door lock is known to cause problems like this, though you should get some action even if it unlocks its self immediately.
Find the controller for it, if its anything like the citroen one you can undo it and push the relay contacts together manualy, that will tell you if everything is working ok downstream of the controller.
I think the reprogramming of the reciever from the plip is the same as citroen, a freind had one done on a 94 306 though he didn't see it done it only took a few seconds so I would imagine its the same procedure, ignition on accessory position and just hold the plip close to the bubble and fire it for a few seconds.
Dave
Phil Harmonic
My Cars:

Post by Phil Harmonic »

OK - Reprogrammed the plip but it made NO difference. Since then, my son has sold the car so it's all pretty academic now.