C5 X7 2010 steel sprung Power Steering Fluid capacity

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

C5 X7 2010 steel sprung Power Steering Fluid capacity

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
Just a quick question on the capacity of the entire system.
Yes i think i have a leak, not sure from where and aware the fluid is Total LDS and is orange in colour but just trying to work out what the capacity is for the system.
The vin is in my sig for admins reference.
Sorry for short post lots going on in R/L and my focus is on that at the moment but any help really appreciated so i can organise in order of priorities

Colin
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: C5 X7 2010 steel sprung Power Steering Fluid capacity

Post by bobins »

If it's just a rack replacement then you should only need 1 litre providing you clamp the supply hose from the reservoir first to avoid excessive loss.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks bobins i just need to know how much i have lost already if that makes sense, i have my good lady getting a 1 ltr bottle tomorrow and just want to work out how much i have lost.
My head is really not where it should be so sorry if my posts make less sense than normal

Colin
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

If you're steering is still working as normal with no odd noises or notchy feel, then I'd say you've still got a sufficient level of LDS in the system. 1 litre should keep you going for now.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks bobins it just seems notchy stationary on first start up, after that it is fine.
Have put cash to one side for a steering rack replacement when we bought it, this forum is a invaluable in that sense, so if i need to get a replacement so be it, the car is worth it but with everything going on in r/l i know i have missed or ignored the symptoms so now i am on catch up.

Really sorry for the abrupt post to start the thread

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Just a quick update.
Thanks for all the replies and apologies again for the abrupt post to start the thread, not my style but head was not in the right place. [-o<

Bobins i have to update my reply above it was not notchy, i meant a little noisy as i turned the wheel whilst stationary, i could almost feel it if that makes sense.

Not had chance to take a proper look at the rack and suspect leak areas in daylight but the good lady got a 1 ltr bottle of LDS ( orange ) today and whilst fully expecting to use most of it i ended up using maybe 150ml at most .
Topped up to just above the max level, cap on but only to cover the reservoir not screwed into place , started car left for 4 mins and then did 10 lock to lock turns without holding on full lock and level is now on or just a fag papers width below max.
No noise on turning wheel stationary which is where i first noticed the noise.

Now comes the confession, this car has been in our household for best part of 2.5 years and even knowing the issues with the racks on them i have to admit i had to google what the reservoir looked like . #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

Good news is google directed me to a website i know well....................

Frenchcarforum.co.uk :rofl2: :rofl2: =D> =D>

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

I cannot see any obvious leak, it is losing a little bit so it will be going to my trusted garage to investigate the leak, gut and head both say steering rack as if pump or a hose it would be spraying it out at a rate of knots which it is not.
So i am after the correct rack spec and advice on where others have bought replacements from.
Happy to post in the main thread about the steering rack issues if required.

Colin