Best battery?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Estate87
Donor 2021

Best battery?

Post by Estate87 »

Evening all

I've got a 2009 2.0 HDi 138hp C5 that I'm looking at getting a new battery for. Any recommendations of brands would be great. Or issues with replacing it would be helpful, you know stuff like re programming the windows and the like.

Cheers

wheeler

Re: Best battery?

Post by wheeler »

Yuasa or Bosch are the only batteries I would use. Yuasa are by far the most reliable batteries i have used.

Estately
Donor 2019

Post by Estately »

You could try The Battery Group, no connection (no pun intended).

Worth measuring the height, width, length of the existing to comapre with what is available and get some Plus Gas or 3 in One onto the retaining bolt down at the front of the battery to soak before the deed is done. Check the +ve and -ve location with reference to the connecting cables.

You will see that you need a good 1/2" extension and socket (13mm?) to get down to undo the retaining bolt without catching the surounding hardware.
I think Varta or Exide at the right price are worth considering, they now sell Carbon Technology, previously was calcium.

To avoid the power down and back up again syndrome, wire a feed from a 12v battery charger to the relevant connections on the car and see if you can get a compliant assistant to help manage the cables and lugs as you go out with the old and in with the new battery. they can feel heavy when lifting further away from you than you would normally feel comfotable with.
Lastly I use a smear of vaseline on the lugs to prevent oxidation. There are those on here who may recommend something other than vaseline.

Hope that helps.
Andy

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

The last one I had was a Bosch. I wanted a Varta as that was what was on originally but they were unobtainable at that moment.
Turned out the Bosch was from the same production line, different label.
No complaints about it whatsoever.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That would also be my choice, Bosch or Yuasa

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

One more vote for Yuasa. Have been using their YBX3000 batteries (096 size for the diesels here) for years now; life typically 5 years++.

Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I have a nephew in Australia who works for Yuasa.

Their history is interesting, in the UK it's mostly the old Lucas company swallowed up in their various takeovers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS_Yuasa

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It would be difficult from that article to ascertain what manufacturing processes / technologies were kept and what was changed, as with all takeovers, it may of been for use of established name, / marketing purposes and possibly manufacturing plants but little else to do with the battery technology. Hard to say what they did really.

electronmirror
Donor 2020

Post by electronmirror »

Another vote for Yuasa batteries from me.

Had to replace the battery in my Xantia last May, the car lives outdoors and no problems at all over the winter at -8*C on several occasions.

Bought online at a very competitive price and speedy delivery from Tayna Batteries. https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/