abs light/wheel sensor.

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kennatt
My Cars: Citroen c5 estate

abs light/wheel sensor.

Post by kennatt »

Not sure if this applies to the Renault traffic, since I have an 06 diesel vivaroe but would think it is the same,

Before spending on a new front sensor wire ,or anything else on the abs system when you have a light showing.Pull the sensor wires, on each side , out of the hub and you will see the sensor ring through the hole. Its not a toothed ring as in most other cars ( I believe its a toothed ring on the rear of the Vivaroe) Its a graphite ring set into the bearing,it becomes rusted/corroded and fails to let the sensor pick up the speed readings,so puts the ABS light on. A thin flat screwdriver pushed though the hole onto the ring,and then spin the wheel,this scrapes off the corrosion .Obviously don't push too hard it might crack the graphite ,just enough to clean it off.

Worked on mine after a new sensor wire failed to work,(the Diagnostics read Intermittent speed reading front nearside')
I ordered a new hub but a guy who knows these vehicles, advised me to try the above first. put the lights out and ABS now working again, cancelled the bearing saving £70. This may be common knowledge but worth posting just in case/