Black smoke and knock.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moomoo
Donor 2020

Black smoke and knock.

Post by moomoo »

Hello again,
I fitted the new (second hand) engine in my van. Peugeot 1.9TD (2002)
It starts and runs but I've noticed black smoke streaming from the exhaust when the engine is revved. There is also a knocking sound which is bothering me.... I can't tell if it's top or bottom end.
The engine has less than 24,000 miles on it. The donor engine is from a written off but well looked after motorhome. I've actually spoken to the guy who owned it before it was rear ended and he assures me the engine was sweet as a nut and serviced on time.
I can only fathom that it's something Ive done whilst refitting the engine.
I swapped the 'anti theft?' device in the injector pump so that it matched the key for my van whilst the engine was on the bench..
I'm wondering if the pump timing needs to be altered after removing the pump? (maybe it's not in exactly the same place?) or maybe the injectors need changing/cleaning with the donor engine being stood in the garage for a while?
Every filter has been renewed and the engine oil is brand new.
Has anyone had similar issues...(black smoke and accompanying knock?)
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Moo

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Black smoke and knock.

Post by RichardW »

If you've had the pump off, then sounds like you have not got the timing right. It might be possible to see on the back plate a witness mark which shows where the pump should be, otherwise you need a dial test gauge to set it, but you might be able to just set it by ear if you adjust it with the engine running....

moomoo
Donor 2020

Post by moomoo »

Thank you Richard,
I'll give it a go....
You wouldnt happen to know the setting for the dial guage by any chance for that engine would you....
I saw a video on youtube where they set the pump up on the bench with a dial gauge....i know the tolerances were very small ....i dont think the pump they were setting up was from a 1.9 td..
I wish id done it with a gauge whist the engine was on the bench...that would have been one less thing to worry about!
To coin an old cliche...
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
thanks

wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Were the pumps identical & have the same advance system and all the same connectors?

moomoo
Donor 2020

Post by moomoo »

Hi Wheeler,
Yes they were identical ...the one from the old engine works perfectly fine but I thought I'd leave the newer one on because it hasnt done as many miles. I could have put my old one straight onto the newer engine.
I'm going to refurb the 'older' pump anyway and sell it on.