Peugeot Expert 2007/57 Jiffy Van - New Engine Fitting...

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sojah
My Cars: Renault 5
Citroen Dispatch

Peugeot Expert 2007/57 Jiffy Van - New Engine Fitting...

Post by Sojah »

Hi Guys, new to the site and have seen the wealth of info on here which is great. This is my 3rd attempt at owning a Jiffy food van and I think this one is a keeper as its in great condition for it's year 2007/57 2.0 HDI MK1. It has all the equipment fitted to run a food round and l would like to be up and running come Easter with current conditions permitting.
The only thing is I bought it as a non-runner, so I've got it back home and first thing I done was change the starter as that was shot after no spark from it. Fitted a new starter and now the engine turns but not firing, so we decided to tow it and still it wouldn't start. So looking down at the left side of the engine I pulled back the timing cover and the belt has snapped, I think it happened before hence the non-runner listing but I'm not sure if I made it worse by trying to jump start it or not but I can assume from that the engine is now shot. Overall it is in very good condition, cosmetics wise it needs the driver and passenger seats replacing, so I'm looking for the double passenger seat hoping that will fit straight in, a drivers seat belt and my Clarion car stereo has the code fitted but I don't know it's code.

I now have a genuine 88,000 mile complete engine for £200 and was wondering as I'm going to have this engine out what parts should I change now so It doesn't cost me another garage bill anytime soon and would l need to change the oil pump as it has been sitting for more than 6 months

Thanks in advance...

Model: Peugeot Expert Jiffy Van
Year: 2007/57
Engine: 2.0 HDI - RHZ
Mileage: Unknown
Known service history: Full Service History
Description of problem: Needs A New Engine
Diagnostics done: Yes
Things done to correct problem: New Engine Fitting
Previous problems: None
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Peugeot Expert 2007/57 Jiffy Van - New Engine Fitting...

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am sure others will be along soon to give more definite advice, but it is worth pointing out that these engines can often be repaired fairly easily from a snapped timing belt by just replacing the broken components, such as the rockers and maybe camshaft, without removing the cylinder head.

If you search this forum for "HDI rockers" in the Google search box at the top of the page googlesearch?cx=000757428655895309399%3 ... itesearch= , you will find that it has been done many times.
Sojah
My Cars: Renault 5
Citroen Dispatch

Post by Sojah »

Hi, and thanks for they reply. The mechanics that I've spoke to and trust to take on the work have suggested that the time taken to do what you've suggest is their hours spend working on 6-7 cars a day which is not cost effective for them with so many people needing repairs at this time. Thats why I've gone down the new engine with the hope of building off this newer engine...
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

While the replacement engine is sat on the floor I would definitely replace the "cambelt kit",that is belt, water pump, tensioner and pulleys. No need to change the oil pump, but it would be a very simple job to remove the sump, clean it out together with the oil pickup. Then of course new oil and oil filter. Also it would be very sensible to fit the replacement engine with a new clutch kit.