siemans rd3 (01) upgrading?

This section is for information and posts relating to Audio Head Units, and Navigation Systems

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

siemans rd3 (01) upgrading?

Post by quintet »

My cars (peugeot 307) head unit is really quite basic but i would like to keep it as it's an integral part of the vehicle, i would however like to add a few extras, some of which i already own from previous vehicles.

1, i'd like to fit a sub & amp but there is no output on the back of the radio so i'm going to need a line out convertor, possibly even a 4 channel one (note 3rd option id like to upgrade to)

2, bluetooth device for music & sat nav on my phone, auxiliary (3.5mm jack so other can easily use it) and if possible a usb which will let me play music stored on it through onto the cars head unit.

3, i have an old sony cd changer, if there is any leads that can connect this to the headunit (via using an adaptor for the above or an additional adaptor) then i'd like to do this too. The changer uses BUS leads and i'm not sure if there is anyway of converting these leads to fit an RD3 headunit.

The head unit has a cd option which is something i could opt for but i know these changers are picky at playing anything that isn't a genuine CD (ie copy) & obviously if i can connect my phone to the head unit (via bluetooth) then i won't really need a cd changer, i'm only after fitting this sony unit as it's something i already own so it's basically a case of "it would be nice" if i could use it but finding some way of connecting the devices together is borderline impossible i think. :?:

I believe from a few posts i've picked up on Yatour may provide an option for bluetooth but they are in germany & their ebay website is all in german, something i don't speak. From what i can tell these plug into where a genuine cd changer plug would go but i'm guessing the head unit/car will need configuring & i might even need the transponder code which didn't come with the car. (i'll get this at some point soon anyway as i'm likely to need it in future).

If anyone one has ideas on brands, devices etc i'd appreciate it :)
Music keeps me going.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: siemans rd3 (01) upgrading?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

CD Changers on PSA cars are vehicle specific - they need to be VAN or CAN compatible depending on your vehicle's electronic architecture.

Your best option is to use a device that connects to a the CD changer port at the back of the Head unit (if it is compatible) - pop your VIN up and I will be able to check.

You can buy aftermarket units that mimic the CD changer port and treats this as 6 folders (like a CD changer's 6 discs) into which you can copy MP3 or other compatible files on to the device (there are many options like USB or SD Card etc that connect into the third party unit). Some of these offer a bluetooth connection to your phone - but functionality may be limited to phone calls.

Have a look at this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/iPhone-adapter ... rel&sr=1-1
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have the CD multichanger from the C5 I bought last week if it's any use, depending on what Marc finds. I'd be looking for £40 from an FCF member or £80 on the open market. :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Once I have Quintet's VIN I can advise if it will be compatible Mick, but of course, if a CD changer is fitted, it will remove any other Bluetooth / USB Music options discussed above that require the CD changer port to operate.

Also for reference, CD changers can't play MP3 CDs either - just the standard CD music format.

Marc
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

I'm currently at work & so I'll post the vin up this evening, I've had the car about 2 weeks so apart from the obvious first 3 characters i haven't a clue what the rest is.

If i can get a device with a 3.5mm aux jack port & play music through that that would do (if i can't get a bluetooth device to do it).

I forgot about the fact that this car is basically multiplex wiring where as the cd changer i have certainly isn't, its probably about 30yrs old! . A psa changer might be an option for the future but not for some time yet.

I forgot to mention this car also has a Parrot phone device fitted, I've no idea how they work but i suspect its connected into the cars wiring, I'm likely to bin it to be honest.
Attachments
Possible wiring for Parrot device?
Possible wiring for Parrot device?
Rd3
Rd3
Music keeps me going.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Just so long as the Parrot is not a "Norwegian Blue" it will be fine! :D
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

quintet wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 14:54 If i can get a device with a 3.5mm aux jack port & play music through that that would do (if i can't get a bluetooth device to do it).
Bear in mind that you will have limited functionality with these systems:

It is mimicking a CD changer - so when playing audio files that you have put onto a USB key for example and plugged into the Yatour box, you should still be able to control skip and forward / rewind the tracks using any audio controls on the unit or the audio steering wheel or stalk controls, just as you would if you had a CD changer fitted.

However with a 3.5 Jack plugged into the Yatour from a smart phone for example, you won't have any control apart from the audio - so you can't select tracks or forward / rewind / skip tracks using this connection. You have to do that on the smart phone / iPod, which is not recommended of course when driving. An audio jack has no device control.

Marc
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 15:50
Bear in mind that you will have limited functionality with these systems:

It is mimicking a CD changer - so when playing audio files that you have put onto a USB key for example and plugged into the Yatour box, you should still be able to control skip and forward / rewind the tracks using any audio controls on the unit or the audio steering wheel or stalk controls, just as you would if you had a CD changer fitted.

However with a 3.5 Jack plugged into the Yatour from a smart phone for example, you won't have any control apart from the audio - so you can't select tracks or forward / rewind / skip tracks using this connection. You have to do that on the smart phone / iPod, which is not recommended of course when driving. An audio jack has no device control.
This is how i'm used to to be honest, the sony head unit in my xantia had an aux, usb and line outs for amp, i could connect a usb stick to it and play that although i very rarely used it as connecting my phone via the 3.5 jack i could play spotify (etc) and run my phones sat nav at the same time, obviously i cant control what i listen to but i just choose a playlist & off i go & the steering controls for volume still worked and the sat nav would knock the music volume down when the voice kicked in.

I should maybe point out the xantia had a Smartleads adaptor (pc9-109) which enabled the steering wheel controls to work with the sony head unit.

chassis No VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Music keeps me going.
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 14:56 Just so long as the Parrot is not a "Norwegian Blue" it will be fine! :D
oddly enough this parrot thing is actually blue, well it's control box is.
Music keeps me going.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, understand about the Sony head unit and the steering controls - that's just a matter of converting the steering wheel control interface to match the Sony unit - which already has Jack, USB and whatever else built in. But here, you're using a limited Head Unit without any of these external audio capabilities or features apart from a CD / CD Changer, so it won't matter what connection you have to it, as it's not designed to handle external media or control it.

So the Yatour just acts as an intermediary to accept a USB, Media card etc and passes the audio output to the Head Unit. Because the Yatour is pretending to be a CD changer it mimics the 6 folder system of the CD changer that the Head Unit recognises. So you can fill up each of the 6 folders on a USB stick with music files and the steering wheel controls will play, skip, FF RWD tracks etc.

So back to your system, I can confirm it is a VDO RD3 system - so if you do go for something like that Yatour, make sure it mentions RD3 like the one in the link I gave you to be sure it works.

The electronic architectuire on the vehicle is CAN VAN, so you can only use a CAN VAN CD Changer, of which the following are the part numbers for:
Blaupunkt CD Changer 6564RK or 16074886XT.

Obviously I can't tell what CD changer the unit Mick has but it would need to be one of the above parts.

Marc
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Mine is down in the storage unit at the moment so I can't check it but happy to go and look if you feel you might want it! Just say so :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 20:30
So back to your system, I can confirm it is a VDO RD3 system - so if you do go for something like that Yatour, make sure it mentions RD3 like the one in the link I gave you to be sure it works.

The electronic architectuire on the vehicle is CAN VAN, so you can only use a CAN VAN CD Changer, of which the following are the part numbers for:
Blaupunkt CD Changer 6564RK or 16074886XT.

Obviously I can't tell what CD changer the unit Mick has but it would need to be one of the above parts.
The one you posted a link to from amazon is listed as not available unfortunately, i've had a look on eBay too & whilst Yatour do them for the rd3 unit they don't do them for the rd3-01. I may have to look at other brands. If i can get something suitable it will no doubt run off the RD3's CD changer socket on the back of the unit so unfortunately that will mean i cannot make use of mick's CD changer.
Music keeps me going.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's the same - as long as it says RD3 you will be fine.

That link still shows as available:
image_2021-02-11_104350.png

Marc
quintet
Donor 2023

Post by quintet »

Thats weird that is showed up as not available to me previously, unfortunately i don't think this will work with my phone as it's Android.
Music keeps me going.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bluetooth is not OS or phone specific. That system was just an example.

There are loads of options here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=RD3+MP3+fo ... nb_sb_noss

At least you have various options should you choose.

Marc