508 1,6 MCP clutch replacement

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Norrbjorn
My Cars: 508 sw - 2011
e-208 - 2020
306 cabriolet - 1995

508 1,6 MCP clutch replacement

Post by Norrbjorn »

Hi!

Long time lurker here :oops: Been using my best google kung-fu powers lately to find some info on the MCP-clutch, but can’t seem to find much other than a lot of less than positive critique of its operation :lol:

Recently my 508 1,6 e-hdi has started to get clutch slip while accelerating in higher gears. The car has done 210 000 km / 130 000 miles so I’m thinking the clutch is probably worn out and I guess it’s time to start planning for replacing it. I think they have a dual mass flywheel? Probably best to replace that too.

Has anyone here done this job before? How much of a pain is it? I do have one of those china-clone interface thingys to run diagbox, I’m guessing you’d have to calibrate the clutch biting point etc.
Are there any other shenanigans or hoops to jump through compared to a conventional manual setup?

Cheers,
Björn
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: 508 1,6 MCP clutch replacement

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the forum.

While I cannot offer any major advice on clutch replacement it is usually considered wise to replace the Dual Mass Flywheel (if you have one) at the same time (more cost effective), as they do wear out over time.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Norrbjorn wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 13:12 Hi!

Long time lurker here :oops: Been using my best google kung-fu powers lately to find some info on the MCP-clutch, but can’t seem to find much other than a lot of less than positive critique of its operation :lol:

Recently my 508 1,6 e-hdi has started to get clutch slip while accelerating in higher gears. The car has done 210 000 km / 130 000 miles so I’m thinking the clutch is probably worn out and I guess it’s time to start planning for replacing it. I think they have a dual mass flywheel? Probably best to replace that too.

Has anyone here done this job before? How much of a pain is it? I do have one of those china-clone interface thingys to run diagbox, I’m guessing you’d have to calibrate the clutch biting point etc.
Are there any other shenanigans or hoops to jump through compared to a conventional manual setup?

Cheers,
Björn
Hi Björn

Yes, basic clutch and manual gearbox, with hydraulic actuators for the clutch and gearbox operation. Similar replacement to a manual, but the following are common operations depending on what has been replaced.

Pressurise and bleed the hydraulic circuit
The initialisation of the clutch engaging point
The initialisation of the gearbox grid
Programming of the engine torque value transmitted to the clutch

Do also budget for a dual mass flywheel as this can also cause the slipping and certainly will rarely outlast a second clutch.

Have a look at this post here. Another member created videos for the operation on his C4GP:

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 22&t=61940
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Norrbjorn
My Cars: 508 sw - 2011
e-208 - 2020
306 cabriolet - 1995

Post by Norrbjorn »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 13:51 Hi, and :welc: to the forum.

While I cannot offer any major advice on clutch replacement it is usually considered wise to replace the Dual Mass Flywheel (if you have one) at the same time (more cost effective), as they do wear out over time.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)
Yep, replacing the DMF is probably a good idea while I’m in there.

I just stumbled across this video of MCP clutch change on a 3008. Doesn’t look that bad. Looks pretty much like a regular clutch job with the exception of some diagbox fiddeling.

GiveMeABreak wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 14:07 Hi Björn

Yes, basic clutch and manual gearbox, with hydraulic actuators for the clutch and gearbox operation. Similar replacement to a manual, but the following are common operations depending on what has been replaced.

Pressurise and bleed the hydraulic circuit
The initialisation of the clutch engaging point
The initialisation of the gearbox grid
Programming of the engine torque value transmitted to the clutch

Do also budget for a dual mass flywheel as this can also cause the slipping and certainly will rarely outlast a second clutch.

Have a look at this post here. Another member created videos for the operation on his C4GP:

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 22&t=61940
Brilliant that’s great Info, thanks!
Dan508 16hdi 5speed
New User
My Cars: Peugeot 508 1.6 hdi active 2012
5 speed manual
Fap

Post by Dan508 16hdi 5speed »

Has anyone the diagrams and how too guide to removing the gearbox and clutch for maintenance
Gear linkage how too would be great

2012 Peugeot 508 1.6 hdi active saloon
5 speed fap