Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive suspension issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nos4feratu
Donor 2020

Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive suspension issues

Post by nos4feratu »

Happy New Year, everyone!

As per title says, my beloved C5 has a major leak on front driver side hydro cylinder, basically I found a LDS puddle underneath the car. Checked visually, definitely the leak is coming from the strut. Found the replacement part online in couple of places, problem is sellers are not 100% sure if the strut they're selling is fitting on my car due to is an estate tourer. Is it something you guys can help me with? I mean a code for the replacement part will be very much appreciated. Cheers

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive suspension issues

Post by RichardW »

Welcome along!

If you post up the VIN (which will hide itself) we can look up the part nos.

nos4feratu
Donor 2020

Post by nos4feratu »

Thank you Richard for such a prompt answer. VIN number is: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], front driver side hydro cylinder assembly. Many thanks.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

5271L5 Front Left
5271L6 Front Right

These are the replacement part numbers

nos4feratu
Donor 2020

Post by nos4feratu »

thank you so much guys for your quick answer, real life savers.

nos4feratu
Donor 2020

Post by nos4feratu »

Updates on my hydro cylinder saga; So, managed to buy the right part, thank you again @RichardW and @GiveMeABreak for the help. Today I had finally time to replace it as I didn't find any garage willing to undertake the job. If you consider to do it yourself, please bare in mind you need a release tool for the suspension sphere (can be a oil filter pliers or even a chain wrench but definitely will be fiddly) and couple of very low profile jacks - do not count the one coming with the car as it is low profile indeed but is not man enough to lift the car from a very low point. in terms of odd ratchets, wrenches and sockets is not much to say, you'll need a 1/2 T40 bit, a 5.5 mm allen key and a 18mm combination spanner, all good quality as the bolts are TIGHT. As workmanship, with tea breaks and scratching around for tools it took 4.5 hours, which is not terrible i would say. Next one it will be in half the time, considering I know now all the details.

After finalising I used 1.5 litres of LDS to top up the system, I've done a full Lexia system depressurise and the oil level is not anywhere near the minimum level. Is it possible to find how much oil do I still need or is just matter of buying another 3 litres and take back to shop whatever unused?

Another one: ride is definitely smoother (my missus said without even asking) however I noticed the car is a bit higher. Is that possible by just replacing a hydro cylinder or is just an optical illusion?

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

See my post here for the correct level. It must be filled with the car on the lowest suspension level.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 22#p669922

nos4feratu
Donor 2020

Post by nos4feratu »

thank you for your reply Marc, the 1.5 litres which I poured in went with the hydraulic system depressurised by Lexia (DxDiag) which is even lower than the lowest setting. So, I think 3 litres should be actually okay :)

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just make sure it's between the 'A' & 'B' marks in the post.

To bleed, again with the car on the lowest setting and on flat ground, just slowly turn the wheel lock to lock about 8-10 times very slowly and do NOT hold the wheel at either lock. Then return wheel to centre position and check / top up fluid to the marks above if required.