Faulty Dipped Lights Peugeot 207CC

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

james2k2
My Cars: Peugeot 207CC '08
Volvo S60 D5 '14

Faulty Dipped Lights Peugeot 207CC

Post by james2k2 »

Hi All,

It seems this is a common problem, but I'm yet to find anybody with quite the same issue.

We changed the battery in my partners 207CC today as the cold weather had proven the old one no longer worthy and as a matter of course did a lights check and I noticed the passenger side dipped beam was working, but the drivers side not. So I went to show my partner and now neither was working.

I got out my DMM and both lamps check out OK measuring around 3 ohms, and one of them appears to be quite new and both have visually intact coils.

I did some research suggesting water ingress in the fuse box has caused issues for some - nope, all good and dry. I double checked the green indicator on the dash and this was all good too so comms should be fine.

I moved on to checking voltages with my DMM and ah ha! We seemingly have a low volt issue apparently on the drivers side (only 11.45V), and at the point of me testing voltages the passenger side that worked intermittently was showing the full 14.5V or thereabouts. I went back to diagnosing the drivers side, and went back to the passenger side and now the voltage was zero, but the drivers side was still showing 11.45V. Here's where it gets interesting, I test the voltage between one of the lamp connectors and the fuse and voila, the full 14.5V. From this, I am thinking a ground fault perhaps, so I test continuity between the lamp holder and the body - 0.9 ohms, so this seemingly isn't the problem either. What on earth is going on here?!

To rule it out, I'm going to purchase two new high quality bulbs just in case the ECU is doing something like testing the lamps, and then not enabling the output if they're actually not OK. But in the mean time if anybody else has any suggestions that would be great. Either way, I'll report back here once I have new bulbs.

Many thanks!
James
james2k2
My Cars: Peugeot 207CC '08
Volvo S60 D5 '14

Re: Faulty Dipped Lights Peugeot 207CC

Post by james2k2 »

Well, clearly I'm a fool. I quickly realised once it got dark today that the supposed faulty lamps, were actually cornering lights. However, it did enable me to find the actual dipped headlamps had one of the bulbs glued in by a previous owner as they clearly lost the retainer! #-o