double whammy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

conbhaill
My Cars:

double whammy

Post by conbhaill »

Going up a brae my Xantia 1.9 TD clutch pedal dropped to the floor (cable clip failure I presume). The I had tgo drop down into 2nd gear at which the revs shot up to about 4.5K then the engine stopped and hasn't started since.
I feared the cambelt had slipped and left a seriousy dead engine (the opinion of 3 guru type friends) but when I removed the Cambelt covers and camshaft cover I can see the camashaft turning normally but no signs of life from the engine. Au type friend thinks it may not be getting fuel, (hence the similitude of engine death) inconsequence of the immobiliser actioning the fuel cutoff solenoid.
I do not appear to have a key pad (1994 1.9 TD) I wouldn't have a clue what the code would be unless it is the same as the wireless.
I know who I would like to think is correct (guru #4) any suggestions help on diagnosis and or fix would be appreciated.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Con, if the fuel shut off valve has operated it is reset by hand, no electronic gizzmo, just a gravity or shock job. It is under the bonnet in the offside rear quarter by the bonnet hinge I understand. Just push it down or that's what it says in the handbook[:)]
My own Xantia does not have one but I understand yours possibly does.
If this is not the case then it is possible for the cambelt to slip. You can check for fuel by cracking back an injector pipe nut and cranking the engine when you should get some fuel around the pipework. If this is so then it looks like a slipped belt.
However the engines will usually try to start if the slippage is only a tooth or two. Anything more and piston valve collision is certain. Ouch!
Good luck Robin
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Will,
How did you change into 2nd if the clutch pedal had fallen down?
David
conbhaill
My Cars:

Post by conbhaill »

Not sure how it happened but I was in 4th when the clip failed I pushed the gear lever into neutral then pulled it back and it engaged into 2nd.