C4 (mk2) - B0096 - Pretensioner Fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Be4ns

C4 (mk2) - B0096 - Pretensioner Fault

Post by Be4ns »

Hi guys and girls, I'm really hoping someone can help shed some light on this issue. I have a Citroen C4 (mk2) 1.6 VTr+ 2011 that failed an MOT as it is showing an intermittent pretensioner fault. Problem is it doesn't show up all the time. I hit a bump in the road it sets the fault off. Slam a door too hard (any side), it sets the fault off. I don't even have a clue what resets it. It just goes away by itself.

When hooked up to a diagnostic machine it spits out the error code B0096 - Right Side Restraints (Sensor 1). I've followed advice I have found on this forum and I've had the driver's seat out of the car and gone through and checked every wire for a break, cleaned every connector I could find and adjusted the connections to make a tighter connection to the pins. I've even poked at the passenger side seat for good measure. However no matter what I do the fault always returns when I slam a door closed. :cry:

If anybody is able to give me advice on what to check next, I will be extremely grateful. [-o< Thank you in advance.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C4 (mk2) - B0096 - Pretensioner Fault

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There should be more to the fault code than that. You are missing 2 additional 2 numbers after B0096.

It's either a short / open circuit / bad connection or a fault with the Airbag and Pretensioner ECU, but having the full code will help - it will be either 11, 12, 13, 64 or 96 at the end.

Be4ns

Post by Be4ns »

Ah...I didn't get given another set of digits.

Thinking about it the only other bit of information I got given was "satellite line fault".

Probably doesn't help much. I've been doing a spot of giggling on the Google and found out the pretensioners are attached to the seat belt reel in the door pillar. Time to take a hammer to that I guess.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just be very careful about checking airbag wiring (risk of triggering - especially with a multimeter...). There should be the additional part fo the code and that ties it down to the specific fault:

Right-hand side satellite 1 line fault
8096_11 Short circuit to earth
8096_12 Short circuit to positive
8096_13 Open circuit

Right-hand side satellite 1 present but not configured fault
8096_64

Right-hand side satellite 1 internal fault
8096_96

wheeler

Post by wheeler »

The satellite sensors are normally the same at each side, i would switch them right to left & see if the fault moves to the other side.
Please make sure you disconnect the battery when doing this as a knock to the sensor with the system powered up can detonate the devices.