heater resistor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gloworm

heater resistor

Post by gloworm »

need a heater resistor for my synergie 19 td phoned the dealers and nearly fainted £135.00 + VAT does anyone know where i can get one cheaper ill even buy the full motor as the resistors inside it . ive been on the phone to umpteen breakers yards with no luck[:0]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Gloworm
Seen you somewhere else on this one! What is actually <b>wrong</b> with the resistor? If it comes to the worst, it could be made up from a fiver's worth of components.
gloworm

Post by gloworm »

the thermo fuse has blown & im no good with a soldering iron
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Then cut the leads to the thermo fuse and use a choc block connector instead. £135 buys a lot of resistors, the thermo fuse could well be a Maplins part. Often, the fuse fails due to old age or cussedness. If you have someone who can measure the current, then you should be able to see if there was a goood reason for the failure/
ZEGA
My Cars:

Post by ZEGA »

Termo fuse cost about 0.5 GBP here in Croatia, i have all set about 5 temperatures (it has temp. rating on it) once i needed one and bought all of them just in case (it ws also case of some expensive set just because of thermo fuse in home electric stuff)...
Just cut old one and solder or crimp new one...
ZEGA
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Listen to what Tom is saying [:)]
At a guess, you could replace the thermal fuse with a normal one; the thermal fuse will blow it it gets hot because one or more of the resistors are getting hot, or from 'old age' The only reason for the resistors getting hot would be that the fan motor is drawing too much current, maybe because the bearings are dry. If you stick a 10amp anti-surge fuse in, you should be OK.
If you do not want to solder it yourself, your local TV/Audio repair shop will charge less than £135 to do it, but, really, soldering is very easy
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Glow worm, where are you situated? I could show you how to solder in ten minutes or do the job myself in two. I'd reckon on lubing up the motor as Mike says then fitting a new fuse.
gloworm

Post by gloworm »

problem is its a sealed unit like the 405 one but i got lucky yesterday & got a full blower moter 4 £40
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Don't chuck the old one out.
To me, the words 'sealed unit' mean 'OK, Mr Manufacturer - you think this means that I have to buy £100s worth of gear because of the failure of a 10p part - I will prove you wrong!' [:D][:D]