Xantia - suspension question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Xantia - suspension question

Post by Jaf »

I had to call for an ambulance the other day, the driver needed to move Fred. Went to drive today and realised that when he parked he put Fred’s suspension on high. Made me smile. Then I wondered if even though Fred’s a non-sinker should I be doing that?

(Normally my dad would’ve taken me to drs but he’s poorly. I now have the fun of taking my mum for a refresher drive in the AX, she hasn’t driven in 10 years and won’t drive Fred. Ambulances here seem very different, basically a big taxi, no dr on board!)
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia - suspension question

Post by CitroJim »

All best wishes to your dad Jaf, May his recovery be swift and complete...
Jaf wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 13:01he put Fred’s suspension on high. Made me smile. Then I wondered if even though Fred’s a non-sinker should I be doing that?
There's a school of thought that suggests this stresses the sphere diaphragms and if any hydraulic Citroen is to be stored for a period the suspension should be set on low to relieve pressure on the spheres...

I don't know the full truth of all this but I do know you'll do no harm leaving Fred on high for a while...

I reckon your mum will enjoy the AX again! Why won't she drive Fred?

I think I may have answered my own question there as after several years of driving my own Saxo and AX a Xantia now seems huuuuuggggge!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks Jim. I won’t do that then!

Dad’s probably only got a couple of years so it’s all about pain management. It might be the end of Fred too as I can’t always fix her on my own and can’t afford garages. Mind you I can’t afford a new car either so maybe it’ll be “better the devil you know”.

Mum had a drive in Fred and scared herself with a tiny, perfectly corrected skid. Fred behaves differently on the dirt tracks, brilliantly I think, the back end sort of steers too. Gwin, being standard suspension, doesn’t do that. I’ve described her as a “mountain goat” before, she’s light and so easy to drive. I can’t imagine not driving!
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Jo X2
My Cars: Xantia 1.8 16v & 2.0 TCT

Post by Jo X2 »

Another reason to set them to the lowest position is, that only then the plungers of the suspension struts are fully encased in LHM, so that they are protected from corrosion. Of cause this only matters when the car is stored for extended periods. The downside may be accelerated wear of the rubber bushes of the front wishbones due to the tension in any position other than the normal ride height.

But to be honest, when working on my Xantia I left it in the highest position for some weeks.

When the summer season ends and my Activa goes into hibernation I let it sink to its lowest position.