Just bought another citroen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

integrale
My Cars:

Just bought another citroen

Post by integrale »

Well the xantia went to another home the other week and decided to buy another citroen.
Managed to buy a xsara td on a 98 s with 51k on the clock for £1700!
only problem is that it seems a bit sluggish. can anyone suggest anything? once you floor the accelerator it goes like stink, but there doesn't seem to be anything in between. I also get quite a big puff of black smoke out of the exhaust when accellerating hard (to the floor) at between 3200-3500rpm. Any ideas? It starts fine from cold and idle's fine too.
It's due a service so would it benefit from doing all the filters as well as the oil and also the glow plugs?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Well, sounds like quite a bargain to me. Re the performance, I suspect it needs carefully introducing to a bit of speed to clean the negine up a bit. Also just flooring the pedal in diesel in not the quickest way to get along, the most expensive without doubt though. Just sqeeze the pedal proportionate to speed increase so that you arrive at the floor as the engine RPM hits max. That's the theory anyway. Practice means you get to the carpet before the engine hits the red line but only just.
Filters, especially fuel and air are vitally important too so get those changed along with oil and oil filter before you do anything else. As someone here has said before, do the cheap bits first[:D] Re the heater plugs, if starts OK and idles straight away smoothly, leave well alone. At 51k she is only just run in! Robin
integrale
My Cars:

Post by integrale »

thanks for that robin, it's going in for a full service next week so will get them to change all the filters (which they should do anyway). i'll do the glow plugs myself as they'll charge a fortune for them and i can get them cheaply myself.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Went to look at at a Xsara TD a few weeks ago but just my luck it had gone. On speaking to the dealer (main Peugeuot spelling)he told me that the car had gone to the auction as they had reduced the price from £3750 to £3500 to £3250 to £3000 to £2750 to £2500 to £2250 and then finally gave up at £1900, the carwas an X reg had 51k on the clock with full history, all the rite electric bits windows, roof remote door locks etc, but they just had no interest in the 2 months they had the car. In a dark blue colour with alloys, apparently it was the main area agents service / hire car. I must say even the wife thought we'd missed a true bargin. Oh well I'm still after the ZX volcane 3 door.
integrale
My Cars:

Post by integrale »

stuart, that certainly was a bargain mate!
does anyone know if the newer shape wheeltrims will fit my 98 model as the ones on mine (14" wheel) are about sha**ed, and if so where is the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get them from?