Train or Car commute?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mark W
My Cars:

Train or Car commute?

Post by Mark W »

About to move house, driving to work now an option, facts are as follows
1)31 miles each way 5 days a week.
2)car parking at work a reasonable £30 a month.
3)Alternative train journey will cost £2568 a year (£214 a month) and require me to change trains 3 times and a 15 min walk at the home end.
Background
I'm not trying to save money as such, although if i save each month so much the better. Think the maths could work and allow me to run a 2nd car which would benefit the family at other times as well.
I have access to a family mechanic who can do most servicing work for less than £25 a hour which helps...Not to proud to utilize part worn tyres either!
I run a old petrol AX at the moment as a station car anyhow, so the family finances are already used to the running costs of 2 cars.
Know there's some hardened car commuters on this forum, is there much else I should be considering.
A diesel is a must thinking about a 1.5D in a Saxo/106/AX approx 50mpg + or a ZX D 1.9 with I guess 44mpg +
I'm open to all ideas including to continue letting the train take the strain!
Thanks in advance
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

You've answered your own question. Any day that one of your six train changes a day doesn't work costs you time. An old diesel BX in decent nick costs less than a month's train fare (Ebay is full of 'em) and it will do over 50 MPG. It will get you there faster than the train and in comfort. The AX will sell for more than the BX will cost, I'd guess, so you'll be quids in and own more of your life.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I think the manual ZX 1.9D will do better than 44 mpg, my friend gets 50+ in his non turbo, stay pre 1993-4 and no ecu or cat to worry about either.. It will cost you about £800 for a fairly decent one..
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

A few years ago I looked into getting a train to work. I fancied the idea of starting the day with a short walk, getting half an hour to sit and read the paper and being able to have a pint after work if I wanted.
To my horror I discovered it was going to cost me £25 per week extra to do that-more than double. To do that I was going to have to get up an hour earlier, pay even more (the price was for a 10 journey "saver" ticket) if I wanted to come in at the weekend. The trains are also packed to bulging point and each one is equipped with a guitar carrying student.
I took the car.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I must admit that I'd go for the 1.9 normally aspirated engine over anthing with the 1.5 - they tend to last!
Ron