Megane II - Key only locks one door?

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pappi
My Cars: Citroen C5 -05
Peugeot 407 -08 aka Flapeater

Megane II - Key only locks one door?

Post by Pappi »

Hello.

I bought a Megane II yesterday, and the emergency key was just spinning in the barrel. Today I fixed that by dismantling the cylinder and installing it again. But the key only locks/unlocks the driver's door (LHD). Isn't it supposed to engage the central locking and lock all doors?

Why I'm so interested in getting this to work is that my keycard buttons are very, very dodgy. I pretty much have to bend the card for the buttons to work...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Megane II - Key only locks one door?

Post by myglaren »

My daughter's Megane only works on the one door - passenger side here - so it is a struggle to get over into the driver's seat to start it and shut the alarm off.
Problem with hers was depleted batteries in the cards - both of them. Replacing the batteries fixed it - sometimes it would open but not lock, sometimes lock but not open.
After replacing the batteries there is no need to press any buttons, car unlocks when you tough the handle and locks when you walk away from it.
A tester for the remotes indicated a good signal but not good enough for the car to respond to.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I dont know this car specifically but its not uncommon for cars with remote central locking to only lock/unlock only the door fitted with the lock barrel when using the key blade. Some Citroen models are certainly like this.
Pappi

Post by Pappi »

myglaren wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 17:40 My daughter's Megane only works on the one door - passenger side here - so it is a struggle to get over into the driver's seat to start it and shut the alarm off.
Problem with hers was depleted batteries in the cards - both of them. Replacing the batteries fixed it - sometimes it would open but not lock, sometimes lock but not open.
After replacing the batteries there is no need to press any buttons, car unlocks when you tough the handle and locks when you walk away from it.
A tester for the remotes indicated a good signal but not good enough for the car to respond to.
Okay. Yeah I don't think my Megane have the keyless/handsfree option. I have replaced the battery but made no difference, but if I bend/press the keycard a bit it works a few times.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Bending it is likely to stress it and induce failure sooner rather than later. A guess but it is feasible that there are broken tracks on the pcb and bending restores the circuit briefly. An electronics expert may be able to take a look at it and identify broken tracks or bad solder joints and may have the equipment to repair them.
Pappi

Post by Pappi »

myglaren wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 18:52 Bending it is likely to stress it and induce failure sooner rather than later. A guess but it is feasible that there are broken tracks on the pcb and bending restores the circuit briefly. An electronics expert may be able to take a look at it and identify broken tracks or bad solder joints and may have the equipment to repair them.
Maybe I've found a way to lock the doors until I get a new keycard. Can you (or someone else) confirm? Engine off, driver door open and then you hold the lock button inside for 5 seconds. Doors lock and when you shut the drivers door it will also be locked? But I read "Now doors only open from the outside with keycard". Surely the emergency key should open it without remote?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Can't confirm that, sorry. Daughter doesn't live with me and is away working at present.