xsara TD good purchase

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ossian

xsara TD good purchase

Post by ossian »

My ZX 1.9d has 97k on the clock, engine fine but various other niggles however i'm now on the market for another car looking at the Xsara.1.9 Diesel or TD( saloon or estate. Been reading through a few of the posts,Ive spotted one at a local garage T reg 74k the TD SXI Model £3400. Before I have a look at it I have some concerns mainly about the reliability of the Turbo.
Do the turbo's last or is 74k a bit high? Appreciate experience thoughts advice etc.
Thanks
Tony
Jon

Post by Jon »

Its the same 1.9TD as found in the ZX,306,406 Xantia etc. You have to look for one after V reg 99> to get the HDi engine, which command much higher prices.
The old 19TD is a reliable lump if looked after. At 74K I'd expect to see evidence of the timing belt having been replaced, and the big 72K service done. I'd also be looking at the condition of the radiator (does it get hot at the bottom, if not its silted up)and be seing nice clean coolant. Do the usual checks for evidence of water in the oil.
The turbo is the least of your troubles and go on to high mileages provided that the engine oil and filter have been changed regulary.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Nowt wrong with the Xsara TD, but £3,400 seems very steep.
Not that many TDs about, since they were replaced by the HDi in April 1999. A V-reg would be one of the very last.
Advantage of the TD over the HDi from a DIY point of view is there's no ECU to worry about.
It's less economical, but very much tried and tested.