Xantia knocking front suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

javadude

Xantia knocking front suspension

Post by javadude »

Having gone through the forum it seems that there are a number of things to check. However, if I describe the symptoms perhaps someone can help me narrow down the cause(s)?
The knocking noise sounds like a squash ball being shaken in a Tupperware box. It seems to come from the RHS but isn't necessarily in time with bumps in the road on that side. Often the knocking is made in time with the LHS wheel hitting bumps. The knocking stops when going round LH or RH corners but still occurs when braking or accelerating. In other words, it seems to be made more by lateral movements rather than vertical ones.
Thanks in advance for your help.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Very sharp knocking sound, tending to lessen at speed?
Anti roll bar drop links. Cheap to buy and easy to replace, but you might need the 'assistance' of an angle grinder to get some of the nuts off....
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

I agree with RichardW, just replaced my droplinks on the XM after a years worth of motorway driving. (10,000 miles - not happy) The job was easy and hopefully the new links will last longer. Dont know if you read my earlier tale of droplink problems, but if your car is making knocking noises from the front end, inspect and change them as soon as possible as my offside droplink separated at the lower joint whilst driving round a corner. A bloody big bang [:0]but the car was still controllable.[:)] While you are under the front, check your main ball-joints as wear in these components can cause knocking, excessive tyre wear and vague handling. Also if they seize and fail then the results could be loss of control.
Doc
xm-2.5td
My Cars:

Post by xm-2.5td »

Let me tell you my problem.
I had same knocking sound coming from front suspension.
I changed my droplinks and for a kilometer or two from my garage, everything was just fine….but after while, the sound came back.
I drove car back and told the guys to check everything again and to change what ever it’s needed just to make that sound stop.
They couldn’t find anything wrong with suspension. They have check it and check it all over again but nothing. Everything else looks good. More than good.
Now, what I say, my droplinks are made my Sasic – or how ever you write it.
I know that is not original factory part but Citroen dealer is putting them on as original.
Is there any chance that these droplinks are no good or could they be wrongly mounted ?!
Help guys; This thing is making driving me mad :)
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I replaced droplinks about 3 months ago, before fitting take the rubber gaiters off and put some extra grease in, as there's hardly any when new. Also only yesterday I had tighten up the left one up some more as threre was still a little noise over potholes (tighten nuts really tight) Got mine from E**oparts as GSF only had the early type ones[^]