Chris's BX blog

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Chris's BX blog

Post by white exec »

DSCF3774.JPG
DSCF3773.JPG
Well, the BX has arrived, traillered 1500km from France by a friend, and it's now with us.
So seems like a good moment to start a blog...

It's a September 1992 (RP 5800) BX19 Millésime, XUD9A, N/A, with A/C, LHD, in light gold (champagne).
Has covered 170k km (106k mi), which is pretty gentle stuff for all those years. Almost everything on it is original, and it has obviously been well looked after: no rust, and only one small ding on a front wheel arch, and no fluid leaks!

My guess is that the car has been sat garaged for a good while. Although the inside and bodywork have obviously been valeted, and the underside steam-cleaned, a few interior nooks and crannies (eg under the headrests) had a decent layer of dust. Interior is two-tone grey velour, dark charcoal dash, and in lovely condition, as are the seats and boot.

Tyres are passable (or maybe not) - some Uniroyal Rain-somethings at the FF, and Michelin Energy at the RR. They'll all get replaced with Michelin.

The car is drivable, and after a brief road test in France, I did the 4km local road hop from our village (where the trailer decanted it last Friday), but putting it on Spanish plates, and insurance (with temporary green plates), are still to be done.

Now, I say drivable, but the short trip from the village was a tad nobbly :shock:. All the spheres are genuine Citroen, but obviously in need of regassing or replacement. Even the Accumulator had seen better days, with the pump clicking away every few seconds.

So that was job #1, pretty much. All five spheres got removed and fitted with Valprex valves. The Acc was shot (ruptured) and replaced with a spare XM Hydractive centre, and gassed to 62. Incredibly, all four wheel spheres were the correct ones, but had not a lot of gas left in them, but just enough to try regassing. Looks as if this has been successful, as I now have lots of lovely give FF and RR, and the pump is only clicking once every 30+ secs. We'll see...

And then a start has been made on the list other jobs, some of which were remembered from our previous '89 BX19RD:

- New 096 battery fitted (to replace the rather small one it came with)
- Tyre pressure check. Some tw*t had pumped all four up to 3.2 bar! Nobbly guaranteed.
- Check on LHM (it was clean, so being left for time being) and coolant (clean, no oil in there, but will get renewed)
- Engine oil/filter change (guess who's got a missing dipstick top...)
- New gearbox oil
- New cambelt/idler/tensioner/water pump kit, arriving this week
- New aux belt
- Headlights: yellow H4 bulbs to come out, and have now fitted relays (and fuses) on both dip and main beams
- A relay to be fitted to the starter solenoid supply (a very handy bulkhead relay bracket, which can take several extras)
- A check on the twin cooling fans:
Some chump had wrongly positioned one of AC hoses to the compressor, which had forced the radiator thermo-switch connector upwards, bending the switch pins, and effectively disconnected it. Spotted, thank goodness, and now fixed and tested. Both fans now do the correct stuff - slow and fast.
- Replace the glow-plugs. Only taking 25A total for all four, so guess that two are not working. GP relay cleaned, and ok.
- Check out the handbrake cables: lever not staying right down, so parking brake light pops on.
- Only cosmetic, but have changed the steering wheel for a BX large-pad type, rather than the four-spoke 'sport' wheel it came with, which I really do not like.
- Lifted the rear of the driver's seat by 2.5cm, to give a more comfortable, less laid-back, position.
- Jobs for later include a new radio and a good few instrument bulbs, a towbar (our RAV4 is to go), mudflaps, a good application of wax to cavities and the underside, and convert the AC system from R12 to R134a.

So, a project it is. Already enjoying it :).
I need some help with a couple of tech/parts items, but will post those separately.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Chris's BX blog

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

My admiration goes to the plunge-takers. Well done Chris! Hope you get great enjoyment from both the tinkering and the driving and days out with the tartan travel rugs and the thermos and the picnic basket :-D

I reckon the countryside around you should be an excellent backdrop for a bit of location photography with the BX

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Excellent find Chris, good luck with it.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

I am 110% totally envious but 110% happy for you ( cannot find gritted teeth emojie ) :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nice one Chris 😃 Looks lovely and a great project 😎 I shall be following with great interest and enjoyment 🙂
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Very nice and following with interest.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

A few more of the jobs ticked off over the weekend and today...

Some definite muscle to unscrew the oil filter, which had been seriously over-tightened. New engine oil, an exact 5L (checked against the BX mechanic's handbook), and the level used to check how the dipstick (with not much of its top still there) would read. Result: 5L showed exactly on the H mark :) . Top rebuilt accordingly. Have used good old 20W50 in these XUD engines for a long time, and they do seem to like it. Not everyone's choice, I know.

Cooling system (with the existing pink coolant) brought up to temperature, and a can of LiquiMoly #2506 cleaner added, and run for another 30 mins. While it cooled, the gearbox oil was drained. What came out was clean enough, but looked very much like dark 75W90. Refilled with 2L of the correct 75W80 GL-4. Gear engagement immediately felt better.

Cooling system drained, and flushed with the garden hose into radiator top, and the side connection on the water-outlet/thermostat housing. Re-drained, and filled with Citroen 'Pro' coolant. Important to eliminate trapped air from XUD heads, so a 1L temporary header bottle fitted to the radiator filler, and kept half full while the engine warmed up. This extra head does a good job in forcing trapped air out of the bleed points. While the engine ran and warmed up, plenty of air glugged into the header bottle, out of the main bleed screw, and out of the bleed plug at one end of the radiator top. After the cooling fans had cut in several times, job done, and header bottle left in place while things cooled off.

This morning the handbrake got some investigation. Although working, the handbrake lever had a tendency not to stay down completely, which usually meant the dash light would come on. Tracked down to one very stiff handbrake cable on the LH side, which wasn't returning properly. Caliper lever also unable to retract. New pair of handbrake cables now on order from Mister-Auto, along with a new radiator thermo-switch to replace the bent one.

Not particularly looking forward to crawling about underneath (again) to thread in the new cables, so I thought I might try attaching a 4mm nylon electrician's conduit threader to the old cable, as it is pulled out towards the caliper . . . and see whether the new cable could be drawn back in along the same path. Worth a try...but doubtless will have to go below in any case. :roll:

After the engine oil/filter change, noticed a very small run of clean engine oil down the front face of the sump. Coming from the large O-ring on the back of the oil cooler. (We had a post about this just a couple of weeks' ago.) Suspected the M20 tubular bolt anchoring the cooler wasn't properly tight - probably down to that over-tightened filter! - and so whipped off the fiiter to check; sure enough, not very tight at all. Re-torqued to the correct 50 lb.ft. (filters are only 10 lb.ft.), and the weep seems to have stopped. ITV (MoT) testers do not like leaks of any kind these days. [-X

Appointment tomorrow to hopefully get the ball rolling for importation-matriculation on to Spanish plates. This process will cost more than was paid for the car! :shock:
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Chris :D

If BX handbrake cables are anything like Xantia ones then they're a lot easier than they look... Unusually for a Citroen :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Just the sort of encouragement I need, Jim! :-**
Chris
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

cor, back in the days when cars were stylish, and an XUD9A too, good choice !

Drooling
Puxa
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

The rate you are going Chris it will be better than when it left the factory................. 8-)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

admiral51 wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 20:40 The rate you are going Chris it will be better than when it left the factory................. 8-)
I wonder if it could be 'Activa'd'?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Have also discovered that this one has the extra fuel tank, upping capacity from 53 to 66 litres. Wasn't expecting that, as the supplementary tank was normally reserved for TD models and the thirstier sporty petrols. Maybe, towards the end (1994), some of the extras were loaded on to the special editions. Doing my bit for austerity though, in the shape of windey-up rear windows . . . 'One-touch' on the driver's door, though \:D/!
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 22:08 Have also discovered that this one has the extra fuel tank, upping capacity from 53 to 66 litres.
Never knew that Chris! Where does the extra tank live?

Wind-up windows are good... Less to go wrong ;)
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's under the OS rear wing, Jim.

The funny thing is, they didn't move the level sensor / pick up, and most of the extra tank is above the level of the sender, so if you brim it, it reads full for the first 140-150 miles or so. Always amused me when the gauge stayed stuck to 4/4.....! Thought it was broken when I got my first TD
Richard W