Xantia Cruise control

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

broders
My Cars:

Xantia Cruise control

Post by broders »

I am sure I read somewhere on this excellent forum about fitting cruise control to a xantia and vaguely remember something about only needing to fit a stalk.
Was I right? Hope so as dont want to spend lots of money if it can be avoided
Is it possible?
How do you tell if wiring exists?
I have a 1.8 m reg xantia petrol automatic
Thanks in advance
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I think that it will be more involved than that with yours because you will need to have some sort of device/motor to 'pull' the accelerator cable etc.
Generally you will find that if cruise was available as an option when new then most, if not all of the wiring will be present. However, correct me if I'm wrong someone, but I'm pretty sure that cruise was only available on 2.0 petrol and V6 Xantias both being automatic versions.
With HDI Citroens they have an accelerator cable which runs to a potentiometer (electric meter) which then sends an electric signal to the fuel pump and adjusts engine power accordingly. These later cars also have the speedo electronics interconnected with the engine ECU.
Now taking the C5 as an example where cruise is an optional extra, you can fit the required switch then have the ECU reprogrammed to recognise that it now has cruise control and job done.
Be aware that aftermarket cruise control systems do cause problems with certain insurance companies who see it as a 'modification'.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I've had cruise control fitted on my 2.1 Xantia for five years and it makes long distance driving effortless. The Actuator assembly is fitted in the front bumper and the column control switch is below the light switch stalk.
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by broders</i>

I am sure I read somewhere on this excellent forum about fitting cruise control to a xantia and vaguely remember something about only needing to fit a stalk.
Was I right? Hope so as dont want to spend lots of money if it can be avoided
Is it possible?
How do you tell if wiring exists?
I have a 1.8 m reg xantia petrol automatic
Thanks in advance
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have an American made Dana cruise control on my 1996 2.0 manual and it is a joy. Previously it was on our Peugeot 306. It has a mechanical linkage to the throttle and picks up speed electronically from the speedometer feed.
Couldn't recommend it highly enough.
JohnW
(Western Australian roads, even in town, lend themselves to cruise control, and our police speed checks pay for it time and time again...)
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by broders</i>

Was I right?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nope, it's the XM you are thinking of.
broders
My Cars:

Post by broders »

Thanks for that all who replied.
Is there a diy kit available as its hard to justify spending more than the car cost.
Thanks again