2018 Relay base Motor home DPF & Limp mode.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

parrish
My Cars: 2018 Burstner Moto rhome on a Citroen Relay chassis.
1934 Citroen Rosalie

2018 Relay base Motor home DPF & Limp mode.

Post by parrish »

I have a problem with my 2018 Citroen Relay based Motor Home.
Several week ago the DPF light came on and she went simultaneously into Limp mode, this occurred as soon as the engine reached temperature.
As Citroen could not book me in for 3 weeks! I had a diagnostic check carried out which identified the DPS (Differential Pressure Sensor) at fault, this was duly changed, however when on a test drive and as soon as the engine got to temperature she went into DPF and Limp mode again, exactly as before, luckily the diagnostic services returned and carried out a more thorough investigation, when standing the DPS current values are very stable, however when on a drive they bounced about all over the place, as you may know a variation of more than 100 milli volts will inform the ECU that DPF is required? (correct me if im wrong).
I booked her into a Local Citroen dealer and waited the 3 weeks! I relayed the story to Citroen, I received her back and all seemed OK, I was informed that they had done a 'Forced Regen'.
I received a follow up call asking me if all was OK, informed the young lady that I would let her know after my few days away!
Its a motor home so she remained on my drive for 2 weeks until today when as we set off to go on a few days holiday as soon as she hit temperature I have DPF and Limp mode, so returned home, so disappointing. I will contact Citroen tomorrow and probably have to wait another few weeks for her to get booked in.
Q: did they take any notice of what I said to them?
Q: did they just believe the diagnostic tool without question?
Q: what to do?
Steve
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2018 Relay base Motor home DPF & Limp mode.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bounce it back to the dealer - as far as I can see without your VIN, it should still be under warranty (although not sure how this applies to motor homes though that have been customised.....).

They will have checked the engine ECU with Diagbox for fault codes, but if the same warning is coming on you may have a duff DPS cable, as these can become damaged by exhaust heat where the cable touches the exhaust and wears through, causing shorts. Don't be fobbed off with a forced regeneration - as they may have done that just to clear the filter. A forced regeneration is not recommended very often due to the toll it takes on the engine components which get very hot without the cooling afforded by the airflow when the vehicle is normally regenerating when driving.

If it is under warranty - get it done sooner rather than later.... before it does expire.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
parrish
My Cars: 2018 Burstner Moto rhome on a Citroen Relay chassis.
1934 Citroen Rosalie

Post by parrish »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 14:40 Bounce it back to the dealer - as far as I can see without your VIN, it should still be under warranty (although not sure how this applies to motor homes though that have been customised.....).

They will have checked the engine ECU with Diagbox for fault codes, but if the same warning is coming on you may have a duff DPS cable, as these can become damaged by exhaust heat where the cable touches the exhaust and wears through, causing shorts. Don't be fobbed off with a forced regeneration - as they may have done that just to clear the filter. A forced regeneration is not recommended very often due to the toll it takes on the engine components which get very hot without the cooling afforded by the airflow when the vehicle is normally regenerating when driving.

If it is under warranty - get it done sooner rather than later.... before it does expire.
Warranty is three years on the Citroen Chassis and running gear, lights/bodywork and other 'Burstner' components are not covered by Citroen so as an example it cost me 48 pounds to have the windscreen washer jets unblocked at its first service as these are extended tubes by Burstner. I should mentioned that she has only 5500 miles on the clock so this repeating fault is annoying. I hear what you say about the Duff cable, in fact I had seen this on another forum and mentioned it to the dealer at the time she went in only to be told that that fault as recalled (at least mentioned) by Citroen did not apply to the Relay chassis.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi and welcome to the forum parrish :)
Just idle thoughts but whilst you have a Citroen warranty on Chassis and running gear etc i would imagine you also have some sort of warranty provided by whoever did the conversion and by the dealer/person who actually sold you the vehicle.
You have not mentioned how long you have owned the vehicle itself, but at only 5500 miles and still less than 3 years old some where there must be a case for a claim against someone as it is clearly not fit for purpose.
Post your Vin number so that Admins can access the full factory specs of the vehicle, yes it has been adapted but the running gear etc will be factory so you have an idea of what if any issues are known about.
Sometimes with any manufacturer you have to do your homework and then be a real PITA to them to get something sorted.

Forgot to say your Vin number will be masked with ************** so only forum Admins can see it, mine are posted in my signature to the left of this post, makes life so much easier, no need to keep posting it every time, i just have to refer to the vehicle :)

Colin

*** Edit***
Having re read the post it smells of yes there is a fault but we are not going to pay for it if we can pass it onto someone else to sort out ??