Checking Xantia Coolant levels

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xxx
My Cars:

Checking Xantia Coolant levels

Post by xxx »

I've got a '97 Xantia 2.0 16v and its got a tiny matrix leak. Its not too bad (it comes and goes) but I want to check the water level in the car.
I'm also guessing that in time the rad has been replaced with the wrong model. Looking at Haynes and the manual, there should be a cap on the rad to check the level of coolant - my rad is sealed and the only way to add water is via the expansion tank.
Does anyone have any ideas how its possible for me to check the water levels given this set up?
TIA
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

AFAIK, all Xantias are fitted with the expansion tank on the RH inner wing. There should be a plastic insert tube in the tank with holes in the side of it - as long as the water is inside the tube somewhere the level is OK.
Ref the matrix leak - mine developed this a few weeks ago and I put some Forte Rad Sealer in (expensive at £14 / 500ml!) and it seems to have dried the leak up now - took a few hundred miles to dry out, but has been so for about 1500 miles now. You either need to get it sealed or change it out as it will only get worse!
xxx
My Cars:

Post by xxx »

Thanks very much - if that's the case, then the leak must have gone! The garage used some Forte to try and cure it and they seemed to think it has done the job, but there is still the occasional whiff of antifreeze. The carpet feels okay so I guess there is just a little still drying out - now you say it, the smell is diminishing...
Thanks for your help