BX gone mad

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Will2cv
My Cars:

BX gone mad

Post by Will2cv »

Hi All
New member, strange problem, wonder if anyone can offer advice?
My BX ('92 TZD Turbo) has started 'shaking'. It is as if the whole front of the car is shaking, and is noticable through the gear lever too. There is no other noise or vibrations, just shaking! Gearchange and clutch movement are ok. Steering feels fine too. On accelleration, it is not that bad, only until you ease off the gas does the problem fully occur. On pressing the clutch the shaking goes away, on bringing it back up the shaking comes back.[:(]
On the sound advice of others I have checked the wheels/tyres and replaced the lower engine mount and both ball joints, to no avail.
The gear lever movement appears related to wheel/road speed and is almost circular in motion.
Bit baffled by all this - any ideas would be gratefully recieved![:)]
cheers
Will
Scorbs
My Cars:

Post by Scorbs »

Have you check the front suspension arm bushes, I had a similar shake under braking on my xantia, which turned out to be worn (or shall I say collapsed) suspension bushes.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Driveshaft intermediate bearing collapsed?
As it only occurs on power, this suggests a bearing collapse.
The gearbox is robust so I'd check the driveshafts out carefully.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Are the two rubber cushions in place on the top engine mount?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

To your description, the problem only exists in these 2 cases :
1) engine powering the roadwheels
2) engine driven by roadwheels
In both cases the complete transmission link is loaded.
This means you may have several suspects on the problem.
CV joints, intermediate bearing, and engine mounts.
A nasty possibility is loose fit (even missing [:(]) mounting bolts, box to engine.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yes, I agree, check the lower engine mount, if its stuffed you will be able to easily tighten the 17mm bolt. Also worth a check is the Top RH mount which has a nasty habit of breaking in two, same thing happened on my ZX.
Will2cv
My Cars:

Post by Will2cv »

Thanks guys
Interesting stuff. I have replaced the lower engine mount so I know that is ok(unless the replacement is a duffer too!) and in doing so am pretty sure the intermediate bearing is ok as well. Had a quick look at the top mount although not in any detail. I think my next task will be to look at this again and also check the driveshafts for any funny business there.
cheers
Will
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I think I may have mentioned this elsewhere but the suspension if set too high will give this effect.
Without being able to physically see it, it's impossible to gauge to what extent this shaking is occurring but I can assure you that it is quite noticeable possibly due to the angle of the drive shafts in the triax & CV joints.
Now whilst logic says "I haven't touched the height adjustment," the fact is that height correctors can & will stick & break and from memory the height of a BX is 160mm between the bottom of the front crossmember and the ground and the same between the rear crossmember & the ground (from the bottom of the round tube).
I'd suggest that at least you check this before embarking on complicated options that can be time & money consuming as I have struck this on both BX & CX models.
Alan S
Will2cv
My Cars:

Post by Will2cv »

Good point Alan - I'll check the height before I go any further.
Will