Unidentified saxo noise...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

m_dev34
My Cars:

Unidentified saxo noise...

Post by m_dev34 »

I have a meagre saxo 1.1i with 40,000 miles that recently started making a loud moaning noise coming from the front of the car. The noise occurs when the car's been running a couple of minutes, usually on the motorway so the engine's warmed up. It then happens when I take my foot off the accelerator whilst moving, when I put my foot on the clutch whilst moving, when I put it into neutral with the clutch up and with it down also whilst moving. There is no noise when I stop the car so I can't locate it properly. Is this the differential?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

So it doesn't happen with the power on, but at all other times? Is it engine speed or road speed related? Does it worsen or lessen when you go around corners?
Could be a wheel bearing, driveshaft or gearbox bearing. Doubt the 1.1 has enough grunt to trash a gearbox, but you never know! Have you checked the oil level in the 'box?
m_dev34
My Cars:

Post by m_dev34 »

Cheers for the reply. Yep, that's right, the noise disappears when the power's on. It's no different when going round corners and once it's started it happens at high revs, low revs, high speed, low speed. I guess it's worst at high speed when 'engine braking' but even happens in neutral. Sound like pressure's being put on the driveshaft to you?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hmm, don't know! These things are often difficult to diagnose even when you can hear them... I would check th 'box oil level then have a good look round the wheels for possible wheel bearing roughness / play, play in the shafts etc. After that you might just have to wait till it gets bad enough to diagnose!
The fact that it only appears to happen once everything is warmed up does point to a 'box or clutch fault - but maybe it only happens above a certain speed and you are not getting above this whilst it is cold?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Could it simply be the steel cowling over the exhaust - for hot air intake duct ?
Prone to rust round the fitting bolts, then the steel cowling rattles/vibrates with strange resonance noise.
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

I had a similar un-traceable noise from a Punto recently. To cut a long story short turned out to be the bearings on the cooling fan. So at speed the air flow was enough to turn the fan with slight squeek. Only discovered the source when in traffic the fan came on and it sounded like a car alarm going off!!! Still cheaper to fix than the other transmission related potential sources.
Just a thought.....
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i obviously cant hear the noise but if after you check the basics like oil level,heat sheilds drive shafts etc it is still there i would suspect the sun/planet gears in the differential,usually you hear these nioses on overun.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

my zx 1.4i makes a similar noise, but its not loud, when I take my foot of the gas pedal. it appears when the engines warmed up, does it in all gears on overrun between 2500 and 3500 rpm. Ive put it down to the heat sheild on manifold because there are cracks in the sheild around the bolt holes.