[Citroen C3] Automatic electric window fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jackwat89
My Cars: Citroen C3 2006 1.6 HDi

[Citroen C3] Automatic electric window fault

Post by Jackwat89 »

Hey!

I have an issue with the automatic electric windows

I had the alternator replaced recently, therefore battery was out of power for a long time.

I had to set the windows back up, however when the window closes, once it reaches the top the window automatically opens again about 1/3 of the way down, if I attempt to close the window a few times it will eventually fully open

Auto open works perfectly fine

I am able to close the window if I lightly press the auto function (manually close)

Any ideas?

Thank you!!
Jackwat89

Re: [Citroen C3] Automatic electric window fault

Post by Jackwat89 »

Oh it’s a 2006 1.6 HDi if that matters!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That'll be the anti-pinch system.

You need to open the window fully, then use the first position of the window switch to manually raise it (i.e. do not click to the second position to operate the one touch close). As you keep your finger on the button to raise it, if it stops, just keep holding the button (at the first click) until the window raises fully - a bit at a time. When the window finally reaches the fully closed position, hold the window switch for a few seconds until you hear a slight click. That is the anti-pinch system reinitialised.

In future, always use the BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery for reference. But you will still always need to do manually raise the window and hold it to re-initialise the anti pinch regardless - on all windows with the anti-pinch function.

Lastly, I would suggest you get some silicon spray (not WD40) and spray this with the straw down the window guide channels liberally, then raise and lower the windows and allow plenty of oil to lubricate the liners. This will put less strain on the window motors and make closing easier. Sometimes if the window glass is too tight in the channels when it raises , it can activate the anti-pinch.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Jackwat89

Post by Jackwat89 »

This resolved it. Thank you!

Turns out my switch is super sensitive. Doesn’t quite have the two clicks you describe so must be wearing out

I was still able to fix it by just very lightly pulling up tho!

Thank you
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries.

Marc
Juan_C
My Cars: Citroën Xsara 2.0 HDi - 2003 N1

Post by Juan_C »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 18:15 That'll be the anti-pinch system.

You need to open the window fully, then use the first position of the window switch to manually raise it (i.e. do not click to the second position to operate the one touch close). As you keep your finger on the button to raise it, if it stops, just keep holding the button (at the first click) until the window raises fully - a bit at a time. When the window finally reaches the fully closed position, hold the window switch for a few seconds until you hear a slight click. That is the anti-pinch system reinitialised.

In future, always use the BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery for reference. But you will still always need to do manually raise the window and hold it to re-initialise the anti pinch regardless - on all windows with the anti-pinch function.

Lastly, I would suggest you get some silicon spray (not WD40) and spray this with the straw down the window guide channels liberally, then raise and lower the windows and allow plenty of oil to lubricate the liners. This will put less strain on the window motors and make closing easier. Sometimes if the window glass is too tight in the channels when it raises , it can activate the anti-pinch.
Thanks GiveMeABreak, I had the exact same problem and the BSI reset worked for me on my Xsara (your procedure was very helpful!). However, after completing the BSI the immobiliser has activated, so I can close the window but not move the car #-o

I think it may be because I don't have the original ignition key with remote/fob, only the spare that has a chip inside I think, but no buttons. This means I couldn't perform the last step of the BSI of holding down the fob button. Would that cause the immobiliser to activate do you think? If so, I guess I need to buy a new key with remote and get a dealer or locksmith with a diagnostic tool to program it for me? Any help much appreciated...!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

In your case, Juan, when you get to that part, try putting the key (with the transponder chip in) into the ignition and turn the ignition on, then leave it for a few seconds, then remove it and exit the vehicle and lock the car with the key, then unlock with the key and then get in and try and start the car. It's good idea to get at least one remote fob working.

Note: I've deleted you other post as it is a duplicate of this one and I have replied here. It saves confusion when there are identical multiple posts... :wink:

Marc