Changing spheres on C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Patxi
My Cars:

Changing spheres on C5

Post by Patxi »

Hi guys!
I ordered my new front spheres today (from the 1.8L), and they may arrive tomorrow.
Does anyone know how to depressurize the C5's system? Any bolt on the hydraulic suspension unit? Can't find detailed specs on the technical info provided by citroën...
All the best,
Patxi
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

it is depressurised by running the car in low for a minute or two,this should be sufficient to change shperes but to do it fully then you switch the engine off,the front & rear hydralic circuts are then individually de-pressurised.remove the LDS fluid resivoir cap,there are bleed nipples on the front & rear circuts,if it is HA3 the front is located on a pipe union close to the o/s strut the rear is near the hight sensor.if it is HA3+ the nipples are located on the stiffness regulators,they must be opened with weight on the car,when they are opened the car will drop a few cm.
altenitively you could buy the lexia machine that is in the for sale section as this can also be used to de-pressurise the system [:p]
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Well, it would be tricky. Setting the height to lowest won't depressurise the suspension, like in previous models, because HP pump has quite low capacity and more that 2 minutes would be needed to pressurise it again. From my test drive, I remember that the car wasn't rock hard in lowest position.
In presentation_C5.pdf, there's a description:
Attention: il existe une pression résiduelle en position basse qui ne permet pas d'intervenir sur le circuit hydraulique sans une mise hors pression.
Une intervention sur le circuit hydraulique nécessite une mise hors pression du circuit hydraulique.
Méthodes peremettant la mise hors pression du circuit hydraulique (le véhicule doit etre en position basse):
- une commande a l'aide de l'outil de diagnostic permet de mettre hors pression chaque circuit de suspension en forçant l'overture des électrovannes d'échappement
- une ouverture des vis de mise hors pression permet de mettre chaque circuit de suspension a la pression atmosphérique
Well, my knowledge of French is extremly limited, so I used altavista translator, which returned this:
Caution: there is a residual pressure in low position which does not make it possible to intervene on the circuit hydraulic without a setting except pressure.
An intervention on the circuit hydraulic requires a setting except pressure of the hydraulic system. Methods peremettant the setting except pressure of the hydraulic system (the vehicle must be in low position):
- an order using the tool for diagnosis makes it possible to put except pressure each circuit of suspension by forcing overture of the electromagnetic sluice gates of exhaust
- an opening of the screws of setting except pressure makes it possible to put each circuit of front suspension the atmospheric pressure
Not perfect translation, but it seems that diagnostic device should be used, to open electrovalves in BHI unit. As other option, there are some screws somewhere, probably on the BHI unit, to depressurise the front suspension. If someone understands French, please help.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Well, didn't think that someone already has experiences with this ...
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

Wheeler, what do you mean with "o/s strut"?
The C5 does not definitelly completly sit on the stops. I doesn't get rock hard.
BTW, the accumulator sphere only serves to dampen the vibrations coming from the hydraulic compressor. It's soooo small... ;)
Thanks!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if you look through the gap between the timing belt cover & o/s strut area you should see the union,its slightly further back that the engine.of course have a tube on the nipple going into an empty container when you open it to catch the old fluid & never re-use the old fluid.also remember when topping up the LDS fluid level that it is checked in the LOW position.
Patxi
My Cars:

Post by Patxi »

Done!
Oh!, the fluid level is indicated by the filling funnel "window" on top, right? Well, i just filled it up to where it was, anyway. 1 liter of LDS!