Just wanted to post a little update on this car as it seemed rather popular when up for sale. It has had a fair bit of work done and is now ferrying my sister and her 1 year old baby around with all their associated stuff.
She lives up in Gateshead but used it to come and visit us in Cambridgeshire this week.
It has had
- new brake discs & pads all round,
- new exhaust back box,
- timing belt,
- water pump,
- aux. belt and pulley,
- some de-rusting underneath at the back of the sills (brushed, Vactan, prime, top coat, underseal),
- some new brake pipes,
- some 2nd hand suspension pipes,
- Sat Nav update to 2015,
- boot struts
- one new tyre as sadly one let go on her
- a full service
- new MOT with all advisories taken care of later
- new under tray. Original was a bit loose, then I reversed it on some gravel and that was the end of it!
- probably some other stuff but its like a big expensive blur now!
It seems to have an erattic idle some times which I never noticed when I bought it but was present this week when she came to visit and I took it for a spin. She was waved off this morning with Miller's Diesel Magic in the tank as a first attempt at fixing it while I think about and ask on here.
A few little niggles, things still to fix:
- the CD player which doesn work (coded replacement is 25GBP on eBay),
- adding Bluetooth adapter,
- one heated seat doesn't heat.
- I wouldn't mind a replacement tailgate in the right colour as this one has rust under the handle.
- Sat Nav works and directs but doesn't have visual Maps, just directions. I suspect it needs a Firmware update, not just the latest map CD
- Tyres could do with remounting on to cleaned up wheel as they all leak a little and she didn't seem willing to inflate them, despite being given a plug in tyre inflator!
- These are all just "nice to haves" though
It does very ocasionally jump out of gear when setting off but TBH only a few times. Maybe the linkage is worn or the engine mounts are and the engagement is slightly off as a result? Just an idea. Does anyone with experience with these cars have any better ones? It has had the conversion to solid fly wheel which actually makes it a bit snatchy when taking up drive but she'll have to live with this and drive around it! Pleiades recommended the dog-leg engine mount be changed but couldn't get one when it had a service on this trip down.
Its a pretty damned good car. I really like it and how it drives and looks. She dropped me off a Pleiades, Sawtry today to get my car before going up the A1 home. It was wafty loveliness with 4 adults, a baby and a boot full of buggy, cot, high chair and suitcases! They went on for 200 miles more.