poor idle on initial startup

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handsomejack

poor idle on initial startup

Post by handsomejack »

peugeot 405 rough idling at initial startup.
Hope someone on this forum can help, I just put a new air filter in my 95 peugeot 405 turbo diesel after noticing that the car was very sluggish. The filter was extremely dirty so was replaced, I also as a matter of course cleaned the airbox thoroughly out as it had loads of dead leaves, sand etc in it. My wife normally drives the car and we have noticed since changing the air filter, it is running very rough at initial starting just as though it is misfiring, but give it a minute or so and it runs fine. is this anything to worry about. or can someone suggest a cure.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Chances are that it's sucking in air to the fuel lines. Check every union that you undid to replace the filter. You could also put in some new copper washers on the banjo unions.
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

There are several other recent posts on this problem, as John says - air ingress. I had similar on wife's 205 after fuel filter change. It turned out to be a miniscule 'o' ring washer on the bleed screw itself that had perished.
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

One other area to think of is the heater plugs as they stay on for around 2 minutes after start up to assist the warm up.
Do not be tempted to fit the cheapest ones as they do not last, I did and only managed 20,000 miles on one set. They were replaced by Bosch ones on my 306dt and after 30,000 miles and are still going strong.
Poor cold starting could also be the first signs of Head Gasket failure as the compression ratio is critical.
Kevin
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Prime the fuel system for 15 seconds then start up if it runs ok then you are definitely sucking air into the fuel system