So I Had My Alignment Checked... Does This Sound Right?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BadIdea
My Cars: [2006] 407 SW 2.0 HDi (136) Auto(6)

So I Had My Alignment Checked... Does This Sound Right?

Post by BadIdea »

Just had a Hunter 4-wheel alignment check after some brand new tyres and here are the results:

I'm no expert, but I believe them when they say the front needs adjustment. They've quoted me £50 for that. The rear apparently also needs a minor adjustment, but they said that the bolt looks so frail that they won't risk it without replacing it with a new one first. I left them to find the part and they came back with a surprising £100 per side fitted (with the option of just changing one, or both), as apparently the bolt only comes as a whole unit. I told them I'd leave it for now and get the alignment checked in a few months to see if it's drifted further.

So, my questions are:
  • Is £50 reasonable for the front adjustment?
  • Is the rear worth bothering with?
  • Does the bolt/rod/whatever really only come as a whole unit? And if so, how does the price sound?
Thanks
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: So I Had My Alignment Checked... Does This Sound Right?

Post by EDC5 »

Hmm, I was told that the rear on the 407/C5 can't be changed! I still got charged £40 for the front but I don't know if they actually did anything.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Rear Tracking and Camber for C5 MK II are not adjustable Elis, but on the 407, rear tracking at the wheel and tracking at the axle are both adjustable as is the thrust angle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

BadIdea wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 20:10 Is £50 reasonable for the front adjustment?
It really depends on how much you paid for the check? I would look at the check & adjustment as a complete price together.
Kwik fit for example do an alignment check for 'free' & only charge for any adjustments. Setting up the alignment gear (in most cases) takes much longer than the actual adjustment assuming the track rod ends are not totally seized & heat needed etc. Can you really ever see Kwik Fit setting up the alignment gear then coming back to you & saying yeah mate the tracking's spot on, no adjustments needed??
Some companies would do a check & include any adjustments in the price.
£50 for a check and adjustment sounds reasonable to me.
BadIdea

Post by BadIdea »

wheeler wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 08:32
BadIdea wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 20:10 Is £50 reasonable for the front adjustment?
It really depends on how much you paid for the check? I would look at the check & adjustment as a complete price together.
Kwik fit for example do an alignment check for 'free' & only charge for any adjustments. Setting up the alignment gear (in most cases) takes much longer than the actual adjustment assuming the track rod ends are not totally seized & heat needed etc. Can you really ever see Kwik Fit setting up the alignment gear then coming back to you & saying yeah mate the tracking's spot on, no adjustments needed??
Some companies would do a check & include any adjustments in the price.
£50 for a check and adjustment sounds reasonable to me.
The check was free; I booked it at the same time as getting new tyres fitted (which were surprisingly quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else, all in). It was Kwik-Fit, and I used to think along the same lines as you, but after having my battery checked on two different occasions as well as a brake inspection - all free and all given clean bill of health - they do seem honest (at my branch, at least). Good to know £50 sounds reasonable.
BadIdea

Post by BadIdea »

Is it true that the whole unit needs replacing to sort out rear tracking? That seems a shame, and also expensive at £100 per side to correct a small deviation.
BadIdea

Post by BadIdea »

I had them fix the issue on the front, and here are the results:

Is it a problem that they've apparently only done the toe? Rear as mentioned earlier couldn't be adjusted due to a problem with one of the bolts.