belt change prices?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

belt change prices?

Post by caveman_si »

What kind of price can i be expecting to pay for belt change on an
m reg pug 405 td with a/c and p/s????
Do i have change the water pump as well, as some people have told me? and do i have to change the aux belts when doing the timing belt ( they look ok) or is it a case of your doing one so might as well do them all.
oh im in liverpool so if anyone can recommned a decent garage too??
on another note any common MOT faults on the 405? just want to check cos mines due soon.
cheers si
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Belt change is usually about 3 hours, so reckon on about £130 - 150. Water pump should be inspected, but might not need changing - depends on the mileage - you'd probably be looking at at another £80 - £100 to change the water pump as well. Given that if your aux belt snaps it will likely end up inside the timing belt cover and wreck the engine, a new one is only a few pounds, and it will be off anyway there is no reason NOT to change it!
Ben83
My Cars:

Post by Ben83 »

When I got our 306's belts changed last year, the quotes I got varied from around £80 to over £200.
All were from peugeot main dealers in SW London / Surrey, and they all claimed to be quoting "Book Price".
I asked if there could be a reason for the different prices (imagining some might've included a water pump, for example) but all I got was laugher at the more expensive prices from the cheaper dealers, and vice versa.
Went with the cheapest (Warick Wright in Merton) and they even valeted the car for me (although they didn't do the water pump; hopefully that was because it didn't need doing, not cos I forgot to ask them to check...)
Cheers,
Ben.
1995 306 1.4.