DS 3 BlueHDI 120 S/S - Need to know what this is for.

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dankeogh
My Cars: Used to have a 1.4 Clio III Dynamique.
Now got a 1.6 BlueHDI 120 D/Sport DS 3.

DS 3 BlueHDI 120 S/S - Need to know what this is for.

Post by dankeogh »

Hi all,

I was taking the air filter out earlier to give it a clean (I've got a K&N one in there) and in taking the cover off the top of the airbox, I snapped what I presume is the breather pipe going to the crankcase (correct me if I'm wrong, it's my first diesel so I'm not sure).

My question is, in its current state of not being connected, will this affect the operation of the engine and cause issues or can I safely leave it in it's current broken state? I'm just asking as I know it will be a pain to get a new airbox cover as it's snapped clean off. I've also somewhat mutilated the connecting end in the process.

I did get a P0103 code via an OBD2 reader but I couldn't say for sure whether that was for the snapped off pipe or whether that was for the MAF sensor I'd forgotten to clip in all the way (I cleared the code before I'd noticed that, and it hasn't come back since).

I haven't noticed that the car drives or feels any different at all so I'm wondering if this is a somewhat moot problem or whether I do need to go ahead and replace it.
Attachments
IMG_20200709_144148.jpg
IMG_20200709_144145.jpg
IMG_20200709_142320.jpg
2017_07_21_09_33_50_177.jpg
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: DS 3 BlueHDI 120 S/S - Need to know what this is for.

Post by Paul-R »

Yup, I snapped exactly the same pipe when I did our 308's air filter last year. Running with it broken brings up a error message (I think it was Check Engine) so it has to fixed.

I used a short length of brake pipe on to which I cut a thread. Then I cut the same thread inside the broken off spigot and where the spigot went on the air filter cover. Ideally one end of the bit of brake pipe would have been a RH thread and the other a LH thread but that wasn't possible so the same thread was used all the way down.

Be very careful cutting the thread into the cover as there is a small compartment there and it's difficult to get any shreds of plastic out. IIRC the thread cut into the cover was finished using a bottoming tap (to cut the thread all the way through) and the one on the spigot using a second cut tap so that the brake pipe tightened up as it went in.

I was hoping that it would tighten up just-so and sort of click into place with no wobble but I wasn't that lucky. However it was close enough that there's only the slightest looseness. The plastic is polypropylene (I think) and so can't be glued.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
dankeogh
My Cars: Used to have a 1.4 Clio III Dynamique.
Now got a 1.6 BlueHDI 120 D/Sport DS 3.

Re: DS 3 BlueHDI 120 S/S - Need to know what this is for.

Post by dankeogh »

Perfect, thank you - glad to know it's not just me that's done this. That plastic piece does seem a little flimsy for what it is :-D

I've managed to find a DS3 at a breaker's yard in Durham with the exact same engine so I've nabbed the bits off it that I need (airbox and that little pipe) and I'm going to repair it myself methinks. I did consider going down the DIY route as you've done but I know with my luck at the moment I'll manage to break something else!

My understanding is that it's a fresh air feed for the vacuum pump but you're right in that it'll throw a code as it's air that's been lost and unaccounted for (as the feed is no longer there :lol:). I've got some crumb of comfort in that I know the vacuum pump will still be doing its job but it could potentially suck up all kinds of ***te so I need to get it fixed ASAP.