Gearbox Faulty of Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2008 2.0HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tzonecristian
My Cars: Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2008

Gearbox Faulty of Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2008 2.0HDI

Post by tzonecristian »

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, I have an issue with my Citroen C4 Grand Picasso and I will try to leave all the possible details. Feel free to ask for more info, I'm sure I will forget to add something relevant.
- 2008 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDI 136HP (EGS gearbox)

Only after I have bought the car in July 2019, I have noticed that it has a gearbox oil leak. Repairs are quite expensive when we're talking about semi-auto (manually piloted) gearboxes, and since there wasn't any specific issue with the car, I decided I would refill the oil every 3-4 months.

2 days ago, after leaving the parking lot, the dashboard beeped and the "Gearbox Faulty" error was displayed alongside the Service indicator. I have used an OBD2 with the Torque Lite app to check for any error codes and the computer did not register anything.
The actual behavior is that after the error is displayed, the car won't switch between gear modes (R/N/A/M). But this isn't a permanent issue, as from time to time, with me not touching anything, it goes back to normal(no error, no Service) for anywhere between 5 seconds and 3 minutes. Afterwards, the error reappears.
What could be worth mentioning is that 3 days before this issue, I have refilled it's oil, as I usually do. Filled ~1.3-1.5l of oil(specifics according to the car's manual). During the last year, same action has been done 3 times.

I have noticed that, with the engine on, when I switch from Neutral to Automatic or Reverse, there's a loud switch, sort of similar to an electrovalve. If the sounds is very loud or very sudden, after it, the gearbox error is displayed and I'm stuck in neutral, regardless of the lever position(R/A/M). Whenever the car's in Gearbox Faulty, there's a loud electrical(maybe?) sound coming from the gearbox, near the left front wheel.
Maybe worth mentioning, but before having this gearbox fault. If the car didn't have enough gearbox oil, as I was driving away in first gear, the car was moving with a huge vibration for 4-5 meters, as if the clutch was not engaged. This was happening until the engine heated, afterwards there were no more problems.

Any thoughts?
brookesmk4
My Cars: CG4 picasso

Re: Gearbox Faulty of Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2008 2.0HDI

Post by brookesmk4 »

old thread i know but im experiencing similar issues, did you ever get this sorted? very little info online
ixus400
My Cars: Hollow pickup

Post by ixus400 »

I've read somewhere I don't remember, there is similar story but the owner changed the clutch to solve it.
Rckmw
New User
My Cars: Citroen C4

Post by Rckmw »

Hi any luck on this issue. I have similar problems. What was the outcome please. Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is no simple fix for these. They need proper diagnostics to determine the issue as there can be multiple possibilities. Save yourself time and money - get a dealer to diagnose and fix it for you - as they have the expertise in these systems, whereas you would need to find an experienced mechanic in these systems otherwise and this is where you start paying out....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc