Metal chain like rattle once engine warms up (right side of car, where timing belt is)- Renault Clio 1.4 8v 2003 78.000

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lgstoian
New User
My Cars: Renault Clio 1.4 8v 2003 78.000 km

Metal chain like rattle once engine warms up (right side of car, where timing belt is)- Renault Clio 1.4 8v 2003 78.000

Post by lgstoian »

Hello folks.

I got the misses a second hand car to use for the first few months of getting her license, while she has a learners permit.

So for this occasion I've decided to get more mechanically involved by working on it and learning some new things.

The car is not a keeper, maximum one year from now when most likely will get scrapped, but I still want to sort things out on it just to get the experience. New parts are very cheap for it so I only need to worry about the time put in.

Now to the problem I am having.

I've noticed that the engine makes a strange rattling noise once it starts warming up. When I start it cold there is nothing, as it warms up it comes intermittently and once it is up to working temperature it is present permanently.

Here is a link to a video of the noise : https://photos.app.goo.gl/CEMkrHoBxZUqmtoRA

I can't figure out what's causing it. Thanks in advance for any help.