Citroen C5 Spring broken

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

EJAP
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2008 2.0ltr Diesel
Citroen C4 2011 1.6ltr Diesel
Citroen C5 2002 2.2ltr Diesel
Citroen C4 2005 1.6ltr Diesel
Citroen BX 1.9GTI
Citroen BX 1.9GTI 4X4
Citroen BX Estate 1.9DTI
Citroen XM
Citroen BX 1.6
Citroen BX 14 RE
Citroen Dyane
Citroen GSA
Citroen GSA
Citroen GS X1

Ive also had a Discovery, Isuzu Trooper and a Isuzu Rodeo.

Citroen C5 Spring broken

Post by EJAP »

Hi. Sorry but I have a few questions.

Citroën C5 2008 Saloon2.0 HDI Saloon1997ccm 136HP 100KW (Diesel). Spring and shock suspension.

Yesterday a spring snapped on my C5 and after watching an incredibly helpful video I feel its well within my (reasonably) competent mechanical skills. I do own a manual spring compressor.

So first question. Can someone please provide me with all the torque settings for all the relevant nuts and bolts including the driveshaft to hub nut? Or point me in the right direction?

Second question. As I'm taking the springs out and the car had done 103K I'm thinking of replacing shock absorbers as well. Do shocks come with the top bearing and rubber boot? Or are these extra things I should buy? As the suppliers aren't clear.

Third and final question. I can find all the parts online but there seems to be a massive difference in price. buycarparts.co.uk (German company) are offering springs from just over £20. And shock absorbers from Riddex for £12.23 each and Monroe for just over £41.09. eurocarspares.com sell a KYB shock for £139. Is a Riddex shock any good? They state it replaces OEM number 5208-48 and 5208-95.

Thanks in advanced to you all. :-)
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Citroen C5 Spring broken

Post by EDC5 »

I don't have a steel sprung C5 but when the strut failed on mine, I found this video helpful:
EDC5 wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 22:26 Okay, part ordered, should be here in time for the weekend.

As well as the instructions kindly provided by Bobins I've seen this video:

No detail on the hydraulic aspect but it doesn't look too bad overall. I'm assuming the strap is there to stop the driveshaft coming out too far from the gearbox.
It shows some torque values when reassembling.

I'm not sure when it comes to spares to be honest, the difference in pricing can be huge for essentially the same thing.
EJAP
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2008 2.0ltr Diesel
Citroen C4 2011 1.6ltr Diesel
Citroen C5 2002 2.2ltr Diesel
Citroen C4 2005 1.6ltr Diesel
Citroen BX 1.9GTI
Citroen BX 1.9GTI 4X4
Citroen BX Estate 1.9DTI
Citroen XM
Citroen BX 1.6
Citroen BX 14 RE
Citroen Dyane
Citroen GSA
Citroen GSA
Citroen GS X1

Ive also had a Discovery, Isuzu Trooper and a Isuzu Rodeo.

Post by EJAP »

Thank you for that. I just found that video myself not 10 minutes ago. Brilliant.
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

EJAP wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 12:11 Hi. Sorry but I have a few questions.

Citroën C5 2008 Saloon2.0 HDI Saloon1997ccm 136HP 100KW (Diesel). Spring and shock suspension.

Yesterday a spring snapped on my C5 and after watching an incredibly helpful video I feel its well within my (reasonably) competent mechanical skills. I do own a manual spring compressor.

So first question. Can someone please provide me with all the torque settings for all the relevant nuts and bolts including the driveshaft to hub nut? Or point me in the right direction?

Second question. As I'm taking the springs out and the car had done 103K I'm thinking of replacing shock absorbers as well. Do shocks come with the top bearing and rubber boot? Or are these extra things I should buy? As the suppliers aren't clear.

Third and final question. I can find all the parts online but there seems to be a massive difference in price. buycarparts.co.uk (German company) are offering springs from just over £20. And shock absorbers from Riddex for £12.23 each and Monroe for just over £41.09. eurocarspares.com sell a KYB shock for £139. Is a Riddex shock any good? They state it replaces OEM number 5208-48 and 5208-95.

Thanks in advanced to you all. :-)
I don't know the torque settings, but I generally pull nut & bolts up tight then a quarter turn. It works for most things.

However, springs are a hard job to do if you've never done one before. There are some short cuts in certain cases, but I would be extremely careful because the pressure these things exert can be fatal if handled wrong.

You may want to chum a local mechanic/garage and ask if you could pop along and observe how they do it just so you can see the job at hand with your own eyes because video's can be misleading.

On saying that, if you are mechanically minded and have tackled some jobs like brakes and exhausts, you'll get a feel for how frustrating it can get when stuff is rusted up & seized :hb:

And it push comes to shove, remove the strut assembly and take it to the garage and ask them to change the spring in their lunchbreak for £20. It can be cheaper some days to admit defeat than end up with a spring launch itself into space and hear a screech of brakes followed by a loud crash :lol:

Anyway, good luck with the job, take pictures as you go and if you forget how something goes back together, you have a trail to follow 8-)
Has anyone seen the plot? :?