207 SW stuck in Eco mode - How do I unlock/solve?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlanC
My Cars: Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 HDi 90bhp

207 SW stuck in Eco mode - How do I unlock/solve?

Post by AlanC »

Firstly, apologies for such a lengthy first post. I wanted to share all the facts. I have spent quite some time reading previous posts but not could find a solution to my problem.

Vehicle:
58 reg. Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 HDi, 16V, 90bhp. Diesel. 110K miles. Owned it for 12 months. No previous problems.
Fitted (following the recommended procedures) new (Varta D15 Silver 63Ah 610A) battery Feb 20. Today it shows 12.7 volts. and 14.6 volts when engine running.
BSI recognises key & car beeps when leaving the key in the ignition (position 1) & opening driver door. All three buttons on key function full.
Actions:
I have tested (with a multi metre) every fuse. All are 100%.
Visually inspected the negative lead from the battery to gearbox & body mountings & sprayed mountings with contact cleaner. Difficult to reach / access so haven't undone & re-tightened.
Conducted earthing continuity tests using a multi metre. No problems found.
I have used jump leads to provide extra earthing to body & engine to eliminate potential earthing problems.
History:
Over the last three months the starter motor (SM) has become increasingly reluctant to crank first time, but only plays up when warm. 50% of the time I turn the key(to position 3), a relay can be heard clicking from the glove box area. I can’t hear any solenoid or starter activity. Hence why I changed the battery. After several more turns of the key it will eventually crank, start & run perfectly.

When cold it starts every time. About a month ago it blew fuse F8 (25amp starter control) just once, which I replaced. I’m no Technician so don’t know the root cause of the problem.

Not sure if this is related:
A week ago it suddenly forgot / failed to recognise the key I had been using for the last six months. Got another key cloned from the spare. Both keys work fully. No vehicle analysis done using planet or similar -so can’t share any codes etc..
Today:
Car cold. Turned ignition key to (position 2) the centre multi function display flashes ‘Economy Mode Active’ (EMA) four times and goes blank. Drivers instrument panel warning lights show red battery icon blinking. Tried this 10 times same outcome. When turning key to (Starting position 3) nothing happens. No relay clicking.
Attempted to do a BSI reset but without success. Continues to display EMA.
Briefly removed the ‘Parc Shunt’ fuse from the BSI. Turned the key to start, EMA message now cleared, but SM still won’t crank. I can hear the relay clicking once, for each turn of the key, but no sounds or response from the solenoid or SM.

It did bump start & then run OK. Drove around for 5 mins. parked, switched off engine & left standing for 5 mins.
Tried to start the car again, same EMA message displayed.
I can clear the EMA message by recycling the PS fuse but with 2 minutes the EMA message returns. I haven't tried bump starting whilst displaying EMA message. I don’t want to risk abandoning it, away from the house, if it doesn't.

Questions:

1 - What are your thoughts about the SM problem?
2 - What’s likely to be causing the EMA message?
3 - Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can permanently clear the EMA / state?
4 - Is there anyone with a Planet or similar diagnostic kit near Abergavenny, Wales?

Thanks for reading – hope someone can help.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: 207 SW stuck in Eco mode - How do I unlock/solve?

Post by wheeler »

Forget the eco mode for the time being until you get it starting off the key. On a full CAN vehicle like this if the engine is only run for a short time after being in eco mode it will go back in quite quickly.
It just sounds like a failed starter to me you can check the power output to the starter at pin 2 of the 5 way yellow* connector in the under bonnet fuse box.
*(Be aware the yellow plug is actually Grey on the outside, the yellow identifier is actually on the underside of the plug)
AlanC

Post by AlanC »

Hi wheeler,

Thanks for your rapid reply & suggestion – appreciated.

With ignition on (battery voltage today is 12.11v) voltages at pins in yellow socket are:
Pin One 10.47v, Pin Two 11.01v, Pin Three zero v, Pin Four 11.51v, Pin Five zero v.
Does Pin 2 (white thickish lead) feed the solenoid or SM?

My thinking is bump start the car & drive for +10 miles. I’ve read that it is possible to bump start the car even though it is stuck in Eco mode.
Is that correct?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Pin 2 feeds the solenoid, you need to check for power at it when the key is turned to the crank position.

Yes you can bump start the car in eco mode no problem. Eco mode does not stop the car starting, its a consequence of the car not starting.
AlanC

Post by AlanC »

Hi Wheeler,
Thanks for all your help – appreciated. =D>

Update: Just in case anyone else has similar problem.

I can confirm car will bump start & run fine when displaying ‘Economy Mode Active’.

Local garage diagnosed problem as ‘faulty starter motor’. SM replaced £135.

EMA cleared. Car running fine. Crisis over. :) :)