Did I do alright?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Did I do alright?

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Hi all
I've just bought a M reg Xantia LX 1.9 TD, 60,000 on clock, for £800.00.[:)]
I know cam-belt is due for replacement, but did I do ok for that price?
Bodywork is mint!
Cheers[:)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I'd say a little expensive for a private sale, but a good deal for a dealer sale, it depends on condition I suppose. In any case not too far off the price it should be and definately not silly money.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If YOU are satified with the deal - what's up then [?][:p][:)][8D]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I paid the same for my VSX TD with twice the mileage, but i'm happy with the deal. I know I could have shopped around and found one probably £2-300 cheaper, but don't have the time normally to go round trying car after car. Bought mine off Ebay (see sig) - took a chance and it worked for me. It's had a set of spheres and a pair of tyres since, but I class those as disposable service items, so am not worried at all. It goes, it stops, its comfy and gives me a constant 46-47mpg going to work and back, so i'm happy.
If you feel you've not been done over, then that's all that matters. Saying that, if you thought it was a bum deal then you probably wouldn't have bought it!
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

[:)]Cheers every-one
No, I don't think I got a bum deal, I'm quite happy with the car, bought it off my next-door neighbour, so I know it's been serviced and looked after. Just got to get rid of my Vauxhall Corsa LS 1.5 TD now.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Cor blimey what a difference you will notice in the two cars. I recently did a service on a Corsa 1.5TD I could not believe how noisy, gutless and generally unpleasant it was to drive.
Welcome to comfortable motoring!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Lol!!
I didn't realise how good the ride on a Cit was (after a 5 year break) till I spent a weekend driving a Cavalier...EEEEEEEEKS!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Just been in bro-in-laws Xsara 1.9td S reg, Could not believe how lumpy and bumpy it was, You do get used to cits very quickly, and forget how good they are .
IT DID GO LIKE STINK THOUGH,[:0] IF THATS WHAT YOU ZX OWNERS MEAN I TOTALY AGREE!!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

SDF,
If you like the car and it was the best you found (60K and mint should be) then it hardly matters if you paid £500 or £1000....in the overall scheme of things it is still cheap motoring.
With the LX at least you are spared some of the expense like failing ABS, elec rear windows on SXs or the added complications of VSX suspension.
In any case I'm sure we'll see you here soon with the first "should it do ......?". ;-)
Good luck with it,
David
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Cheers everyone,
As for the Corsa, yuck!!! Had it for just over a year, goes fast but the ride is awful, 3 doors-awful, colour-awful... just don't like it, can't wait to get going in the xantia, Wales and the open roads here I come.[8D]
I'm sure I will be on here asking questions and advice before long[:)]
Thanks again
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Just been in bro-in-laws Xsara 1.9td S reg, Could not believe how lumpy and bumpy it was, You do get used to cits very quickly, and forget how good they are .
IT DID GO LIKE STINK THOUGH, IF THATS WHAT YOU ZX OWNERS MEAN I TOTALY AGREE!!
Yes, they go like stink, my Xsara XUD turbo lives on the motorway and gets quicker as the miles go by. Pulls hard right up to 110mph on the clock before it tails off and slowly builds up to about 117mph.
But it doesn't compare to a 306 round corners, the suspension's too soft.
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

I used to own a Vauxhall Nova 1.5 TD and like the Corsa it had all the handling dynamics of the Albert Memorial. It did return 48-50mpg on a run though. Peugeot/Citroen diesels are still the best engines in their market segment. £800 for an M reg sounds good.
Doc
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

It doesn't matter what you pay for the car, whether its £100 or £10,000 there will always be something a little bit better once its payed for and on your drive!!!!!
Spent ages looking for a TD xant tat hadn't been to the moon and back, when I finally got one the where everywhere.