picasso clutch noise goes when pressed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

p1cass0p0w3r
My Cars: 2.0l hdi xsara Picasso 2003 diesel

picasso clutch noise goes when pressed

Post by p1cass0p0w3r »

2.0l diesel 2003 picasso hdi 90bhp exclusive
today when in neutral car started making a grinding noise that goes when clutch is pressed.... starts drives ok in all gears but noise sounds nasty like something needs fixing any help welcomed thanks
also how to tell if i have a turbo ?
johnny625
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 1.9 td

Re: picasso clutch noise goes when pressed

Post by johnny625 »

Oh the car you have does have a turbo all right but the noise is likely the clutch bearing or the pressure plate itself. You might eventually lose drive all together if you are unlucky, if you are lucky you might not be able to put it into gear while the engine is running. This will essentially make the car pretty much un-drivable especially in heavy traffic where frequent gear changes are required.
p1cass0p0w3r
My Cars: 2.0l hdi xsara Picasso 2003 diesel

Post by p1cass0p0w3r »

cheers mate
i am trying to work out if i need a clutch or gearbox ?
other posts say "noise when idling that stops when clutch is depressed is likely to be input shaft bearing."
as i can select and use all gears i am thinking clutch ok gearbox (bearing/s) bad
i would like to try an confirm clutch or gearbox before purchasing any new parts
johnny625
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 1.9 td

Post by johnny625 »

The sad part is that you really don't know what is broken until you separate the gearbox from the engine. If its really is the input shaft bearing, I really don't know how easy it will be to fix it, you might be better off fitting a known good, used gearbox. Even if you change the bearing itself the shaft might be already too damaged.

The same goes with the clutch, the clutch plate might be totally fine and yet all of the noise might be coming from the release bearing or the pressure plate.