ZX - brake help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pete-w

ZX - brake help

Post by Pete-w »

I've a problem with the front brakes on my ZX 1.4 recently had to have new pads which struck me as odd as the last set only alsted about 3000 miles.
Thinking maybe it was me not bedding them in properly I've been really careful with the new set, and yet 350miles later I still get terrible fade, and that lovely smell of burning pads at the slightest provocation - even a normal slowdown to a roundabout from, say 65mph, gets them going.
I thought maybe the calipers were sticking but I've had them checked and they're ok.
Any ideas what I should look at next? Many thanks.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

have you checked the caliper sliders and disks.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pete-w</i>

I've had them checked and they're ok.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I bet they're not!
If one wheel gets appreciably hotter than the other, that's where you'd start looking.
Apart from making sure the pads are free, and the caliper body free to move on the sliders, try working a bit of red brake grease under the dust seals and pumping the pistons in and out until they're properly free.
You may have to replace the calipers, which aren't expensive, but are a particularly weak point on Cits and Pugs.
I'd look here first, then possibly check for internally collapsing brake hoses, or a faulty master cylinder. My money is on a sticky caliper.
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Just recently I had to change the discs, calipers and pads on my girlfriends Peugeot 309 diesel. The car was pulling to the left when braking which indicated the right hand caliper was seized and not carrying its share of the load. I got the parts from GSF. If you do change the calipers, remove any road dirt from the pipes hoses and calipers, (use stiff bristled brush and BRAKE CLEANER) and soak the brake pipe-to-hose union and the hose to caliper union with WD40 or Plusgas releasing/penetrating fluid. Do this at least the day before you carry out any work as corrosion can seize these components. I also smear some copper based grease on the rigid pipe just BEHIND the flare to prevent corrosion seizing the brass or steel union to the copper pipe. This makes it easier to dismantle if it needs to be worked on again.
Hope this helps.
Doc
Jon

Post by Jon »

Has it got the Girling type caliper??
Seizure of these is a known problem on the 1.4. This problem goes back to the days when the ZX was new, in fact we used to change a lot of them over to the Bendix calipers, and there was a dealer mod to do this when I worked there.
You might be better off replacing the calipers with known good ones or convert to the Bendix ones if you can find them s/hand, quite easy as fitted to ZX 1.4 and 19D with solid discs.
Pete-w

Post by Pete-w »

Thanks all - looks like a more thorough inspection/replacement of the calipers is in order