Loss of power after 3000 rpm - 2005 Peugeot 206 1.4 hdi

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

WoeIsPeugueot
My Cars: 206 1.4 hdi 2005.

Loss of power after 3000 rpm - 2005 Peugeot 206 1.4 hdi

Post by WoeIsPeugueot »

Hi FCF members,

I have a 55 plate 206 1.4 hdi which has had recurring issues relating to loss of power past 3k rpm and very little power going up hill.

It had p0401 and p1351 codes, I have now changed the egr valve (improved engine heat up time, idle sounds much better) but the lack of power is still there.

After I changed the EGR I took the car out to try trigger a DPF regen, (3k revs, ~35mph+, engine up to temp) which did seem to generate a lot of white smoke (I was expecting black?) so I assumed the regen worked, however there was no improvement.

I have also now changed the electro switch which controls the vacuum to the EGR, no improvement in things.

Its also worth noting that a few months ago I did spray a load of EGR cleaner in the turbo intake as per the instructions which seemed to fix things temporarily, however when the problem came back and I tried the spray again it did nothing, hence why I replaced the EGR.

Also unplugging the MAF seems to improve the responsiveness of the car but this obviously is not a long term fix.

Anyone have any ideas? I've already spent £200 on the car so I'm trying to weigh my options whether its worth keeping the car or just cut my losses.

The vin is VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Thanks in advance,

Harry
GoceKU
My Cars: Peugeot 607 2,7 HDI 150Kw
Peugeot 405 SR
Peugeot 405 GLD
Peugeot 405 Mi16x4
Peugeot 405 RWD
Peugeot 605 SRdt
Peugeot 605 V6 3.0 auto
Peugeot 605 2.1td
Peugeot 605 Sri
Peugeot 206 1.4i
Renault R19
Ranault Megane Coupe
Renault clio
Lada Niva 1600
Fiat 600

Re: Loss of power after 3000 rpm - 2005 Peugeot 206 1.4 hdi

Post by GoceKU »

I'm no expert, but you need to hear your car, does the exhaust sound muffled, or like a fat guy blowing thru a small hose, in that case you catalytic converter is clogged and is not allowing that turbo to flow. When you are accelerating, can you hear the turbocharger spool up. Have you change you fuel filter in the last few years, if you are having EGR issues you are driving city mileages and very few, you must drive it on the freeway, that engine needs to sustain higher rpm for longer periods of time to work.