Best Plugs for V6 Champion cc multi plugs? EON1?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulxmski
My Cars:

Best Plugs for V6 Champion cc multi plugs? EON1?

Post by Paulxmski »

Took plug 1 out and appears newish although black. According to receipts since I am relatively new owner only done few thousand miles, but has only two grounds on it and no evidence of there ever having been a third, whereas those on shelf in auto suppliers have three. Is this likely to cause a problem?
Champion recommend their Eon1 which is single ground overtop electrode 4@£19.99.
Anyone any experience on best plugs for V6 12valve?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Paul -
How does this plug #1 compare to the other plugs ?
- have you ever done a plug gap check on all plugs ?
I would'nt think a special type of plug is needed just being a V6 engine.
- it's more the construction/design of combustion chamber & the engine management fitted that decides the plug type - and then of course the fitting/seating method of the plug in the head.
While you have problems with the engine - it's definately worth going back to basics : fitting the Citroen recommanded plug type - to rule out any possibility that other plug makes/types causes problems exactly in your engine.
This has NOTHING to do with suspecting other plugs for bad quality. It's simply the fact that otherwise prooven HI-quality plugs won't perform in certain engine types - a common and known problem.
Once your engine is back on track again - it may be time to try modern HI-performance plugs for better economy, starting etc. etc.
Ref your other thread : have you tested your V6 runs as expected if the A/C is turned off - and kept turned off ?
This is important to find a positive track for tracing the problem.
The reason is that the electromagnetic clutch for the A/C compressor has a slip-ring and a brush for tranferring the +12V power to the electromagnet.
If either the brush is worn down - or the slip-ring is dirty (burnt or corroded) on contact surface - you get an intermittent connection to the clutch electromagnet.
This resembles the good old battery driven doorbell you may remember from physics class in school :
- the electromagnetic coil "kicks back" with incredible HT voltage spikes - knocking down any grown up man !
- and this from only 2 battery cells 1.5V each !
Same thing happens with your A/C clutch electromagnet - and the bad electric contact on the slip-ring.
Such HT voltage spikes easily "knocks down" any elaborated protection circuits in modern electronics - hence also your engine management ECU. This may cause any type of problem - it's unpredictable.
happily the electronics circuts are at least designed to survive such "attacks" - they just can't work predictable while attacked.
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

hi Anders,
Thanks for your words of wisdom on these problems very much appreciated (sic).
I am certainly going to buy a set of the Eyquum? plugs as per manual. I have bought the 1/2 - 3/8 convertor socket that I need to over come the interference caused by the injection pillar on no3 plug and I suspect no6.
When I looked on the Champion sparkplug site with ref to multiground spark plugs they state that although multiground sparkplugs may improve reliabilty the do not perofrm better than single electrode plugs, will not necessarily improve the running of your engine especially in cars not designed specifically for them and the performance may deteriorate! I have noticed that there is a tendency on the part of carworkshops to put these things in the cars presumably because there are better profit margins on them.
I will be having a close look at the a/c next.
Will switching the A/C off at the dashboard suffice or should it be disconnected?
If I disconnect the purple relay (assuming this is the a/c one would that be ok or should I disconnect the connector to the compressor only.
With regards to the thread about the ABS which I have watched with interest. There is a note in the XM instruction manual in bold typeface which states that if the ABS is not-working it does not affect the performance of the conventional brakes! Therefore 'ipso facto' your statements are correct. I think that where the braking system has been worked on it is far more likely that there is air in the system, and that what members of the group have encountered is an embolism.
Maybe I could rig up a door bell under the bonnet that would fire as the a/c clutch clacked in thereby countering the emf 8-).
p.s. don't seem to be able to get the smileys into my documents just comes out as javascript lang.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes [:)]
Better profit on parts - on the excuse they have "much higher performance" - is the root to much grief amongst car owners. You really need to have background knowledge to judge this. Otherwise things tends to become a "religion".
If you call GSF - or Jon reads this - I'm sure you get help to find the exact Eyquem plug type for your V6.
Being electronics engineer myself, I'm a bit ashamed I could'nt remember the correct term : back EMF [:I]
- I suspect this could be your problem - wellknown as an EMC issue ("noise signal") in electronics circuits.
It would suffice to set off the A/C - as the A/C compressor electromagnetic clutch is never activated if the A/C is off. There is no reason to drive the compressor then.
The smileys works if you simply click on them - then they are inserted at your cursor point. No need to insert extra code. Could be that you simply have turned off java in your browser. This is seen if you constantly gets some mysterious messages visiting various websites. Or something appears to be missing when web pages are loaded on your screen.
You should find the java enabling under options in your browser settings. It's the window where lots of small checkboxes appears.
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Thanks Anders,
I shall be experimenting and testing this weekend.