Knocking at low speed, possibly steering related?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colinsunderland
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008

Knocking at low speed, possibly steering related?

Post by colinsunderland »

ok, so thanks for all the help on my other post :)

I've got a knock when I'm travelling at low speeds, or if I'm coasting towards lights and touch the brakes it will do it. Over 20mph I can't hear or feel it.

I know knocks aren't exactly easy to diagnose over the internet but am stuck on this one.

It sounds like metal on metal. It's a 'clunk' rather than a 'ding' (if that makes sense) so a heavy type of knock rather than a light sounding one. It sounds like a drop link does when it's gone. I can feel it through the steering wheel, but there is no play in the steering and it feels tight and perfect. It only does it at low speeds, probably worst at around 10mph. It does it when turning or going straight. Theres also a slight creaking when I turn the steering slowly at low speeds sometimes. Going over bumps doesn't make it worse and it doesn't just happen when I hit a bump or hole in the road, in fact it probably does it a lot more when the road is smooth. I've tried to video it but as its low it's proving problematic to catch it so it can be heard. I've got someone with me this afternoon though so will get them to hold the camera and see if that works. It sounds like its coming through the passenger side, but that could just be the noise travelling though the car.

So far, I've had it on a ramp, the mechanic I usually use has also had it up a height twice, and I went to 2 other garages, both who have been trading for 25+ years. One had it on the ramp for about 40 minutes and couldn't find the problem. Everyone who's looked at it heard and felt it and said somethings not right, but none of them could trace it. Theres no play in the usual suspects, ball joints, drop links etc. Shaking the drivers road wheel left to right will cause the cluck to happen, but theres no real play in it. If you hold the inner track rods while moving the wheel you can feel the vibration through them, but I'm not convinced that is the problem, as they seemed solid, more the vibration travelling down them.

Everyone has just said leave it till it gets worse and bring it back in, but I don't like messing with steering, if its that would rather get it fixed then be driving down the road at 70 and the steering go :)

One mechanic said to try replacing the inner track rods, but thats just throwing money away if thats not the problem, so just wondered if anyone had had anything similar, or any pointers what to look at?

Someone suggested the steering rack gator, said he had a similar problem where he replaced them and put grease in and it fixed it, but mine look ok, and can't see any grease or anything round them. If I do replace the inner track rods I'll do them at the same time though as they are only about a tenner and everything will be off anyway :)

Thanks again for any suggestions :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Knocking at low speed, possibly steering related?

Post by Peter.N. »

Its more than likely the anti roll bar drop links, usually quite cheap and easy to change. You very often can't feel movement in them on the car but if you remove them you can feel that one or both ball joints have gone slack, they do make quite a clatter.

Peter
colinsunderland
(Donor 2020)

Peter.N. wrote: 07 May 2020, 10:18 Its more than likely the anti roll bar drop links, usually quite cheap and easy to change. You very often can't feel movement in them on the car but if you remove them you can feel that one or both ball joints have gone slack, they do make quite a clatter.

Peter
I did think that at first, but both have been changed in the past 6 months (which I know doesn't prove anything) but would they not knock going over bumps?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It depends on how good the replacements were. If they are OEM quality they should last for years. However, some of the cheaper ones can last a few months at best (or a couple of thousand miles).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Shredder11

Post by Shredder11 »

This happened to me last year after my 306 2.0 XSi car had been stood unmoved in the driveway for 3 months. Turned out to be a suspension spring that had snapped after the bearing at the top of the strut had gone, plus possibly drop link too (need to check if that was on the list). Once replaced the car is back to normal and has improved in other ways (less judder at speed, better handling etc).
colinsunderland
(Donor 2020)

thanks for the replies, going to replace the drop links first and work from there :)
slackgarry
Donor 2023
My Cars: Black 2008 C1, 1KR-FE Engine. aka the GoKart

Post by slackgarry »

Sorry to jump on this topic, Can anyone recomend a good source of OEM quality replacements Please.
Kind regards

SlackGarry
Black 2008 C1, Petrol, 1KR-FE Engine. aka the GoKart
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Lemforder are (AFAIK) an OEM supplier for, among a lot of parts, drop links. I have used them before on my Xantias when they needed them.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I specified Lemförder drop links for my C5 too.