C5 X7 centre sphere

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AtleG
My Cars: 1979 GSA Pallas
2009 C5 X7 2.0 HDI 103 kW

C5 X7 centre sphere

Post by AtleG »

I don’t feel that the ride of my C5 X7 (2009, 2.0HDI/140/H3+/200kkm) is as smooth as I would expect. I’m of course influenced by a long life with other Citroen’s (CX, GS, GSA, older C5), but still. It’s bumpy over speed humps, especially the front axle. And it doesn’t quite have the “flow” on normal roads, it feels like the car doesn’t settle after a vertical movement, but keeps on moving up and down a bit too long, like being at sea. I think it helps with “Sport Mode”.
I’ve measured the pressure in the two front suspension spheres and one of the aft regulator speres, and they are OK. Should I suspect the front regulator sphere?

Two more questions:
-What is the best way to access the front regulator/centre (Hydroactive) sphere? From underneath, or from behind the left wheel? Do I need special tools? I normally use a huge pipe wrench. It looks inaccessible, and I would expect to use great force. Do I loosen it with hydraulic pressure on, and then depressurize and unscrew?
-On the LHM-spheres, it is possible to install a “valve”, in order to check the pressure and possibly refill nitrogen. Is this also an option on the LDS-spheres?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 X7 centre sphere

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If sport mode is making an obvious difference then that would indicate the centre spheres are doing their job. The front and rear centre spheres cut out in sport mode so you ride on the 4 corner spheres providing the firmer ride. In normal or comfort mode the centre spheres are also active allowing all 7 spheres to come into play, providing the more floaty ride. If the centre spheres were not working or low on gas, you would be getting more of a firmer ride all the time, not a floaty ride.

The spheres on these are ultra long life due to their multilayer membrane construction unlike the earlier ones and are not designed to be regassed. As for the front firmness regulator sphere, this is generally removed with the subframe off to get proper access, but this doesn't sound like your issue as the ride you describe is softer and not firmer.....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: C5 X7 centre sphere

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would advise checking the part number on the corner spheres currently fitted to the vehicle, it could be that someone has accidentally (or deliberately) fitted the wrong specification of spheres (or perhaps "comfort" spheres), which give the symptoms that you describe.