Hi from Wiltshire!

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

Mark Graham
Donor 2020

Hi from Wiltshire!

Post by Mark Graham »

Hi!

Recent and proud new owner of a really nice 1999 Peugeot 605 2.1 td

Its a lovely car and im really enjoyinh it so far, there are a few issues which I hope the collective mind of htis forum may be able to help with!

white exec
Moderating Team

Re: Hi from Wiltshire!

Post by white exec »

Hi Mark, and welcome.

A 605! Rare indeed, and a late one with an excellent engine. Sister car to XM 2.1td, so no shortage of info about it.
Do post some photos, and any background info/history you might have.

A real surprise! \:D/

moizeau
Donor 2020

Post by moizeau »

Welcome Mark, the 2.1td is a beautiful engine. I have it's little brother (406) rotting away but with a cracking engine.

Mark Graham
Donor 2020

Post by Mark Graham »

peugeot 605.jpg
Own copyright Mark Graham

Its quite a good one, 100k. good history. Full leather. Just had a full respray.

Got a couple of issues with the auto box but apart from that its a lovely thing to drive!

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nice looking car. You might want to change the gearbox oil a few times in short order. It has been known to help them last longer. However, you MUST use the correct oil, otherwise it will knacker the box.

Oh, :welc: to the Forum.

Mark Graham
Donor 2020

Post by Mark Graham »

Thank for the tip on gearbox oil..

As you were posting it I was typing a post asking for help on a gearbox issue lol...

Armidillo
Donor 2020

Post by Armidillo »

Hi Mark

I've also recently joined this forum, and I also have a 605! Oh by the way, I'm in Australia. My 605 was built in 1994, and when I bought it in 2009 it had only covered 70,000km! It has now covered over 200,000km. I'm probably not going to be able to answer many of your questions, as my 605 has a different engine (PRV petrol V6), and presumably a different transmission (mine has a 4HP18). However I'll see what I can think of.

* I'm pretty certain that you will have the twin radiator fan setup - make sure that both fans work. If your car has air conditioning, turn it on and turn the cabin temperature down to make sure that the air con is actually working, then check the fans - you should be able to see both turning at low speed. If one fan has failed, the other will run at high speed (quite noisy).

* Power steering - like the auto transmission it needs regular fluid changes and should not be neglected. I use Dexron II in both.

* Obviously for any 21 year old car, it is will pay to check all rubber hoses very carefully - a fuel or coolant leak could be devastating.

I would say that we are lucky to have SII cars, as from what I've read the early examples had a lot of niggly problems. For example I am having a very good run with my car's electrics - everything pretty much still works (which can't be said for other PSA cars in the family).

Cheers

Alec