C5 X7 Parameters of door speakers

This section is for information and posts relating to Audio Head Units, and Navigation Systems

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

raqall
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7

C5 X7 Parameters of door speakers

Post by raqall »

Hello :D

tl;dr
What are the parameters of the speakers mounted in the doors of C5's X7 non-hifi audio system (impedance, power output)?

complete story:
I am making a complete audio-system rebuild of my C5 X7 Saloon, though I want it to look as OEM as possible. I swapped the RD4 with RT6 head-unit and hooked it up via custom harness. Front channel outputs are connected to Pioneer DSP that levels/fixes the sound.

The issue is that the DSP I'm using can only process two channels: front left and right. The signal is then pushed to an amplifier that drives all 7 speakers throughout the car (four in the doors, two under the windshield, one sub-woofer in the trunk).

In order to preserve audible parking assistance from the rear sensors I had to wire new cables going from the head-unit all the way to the back-shelf (bypassing the DSP) where I installed OEM tweeters that I removed from underneath the windshield. I thought those speakers would do the "beeps" just fine, though it turns out that they just can't handle them - I believe that the beeps frequency is way lower than the tweeter drivers can produce, thus the parking assistance is nearly inaudible. I hooked up the speaker that I took out from the door instead and it works really well. I measured that those beeps are around 800 Hz (using iPhone app). But those in-door factory speakers are too big to fit under the back-shelf nicely - they protrude too much into the trunk, plus I would have to drill some holes in the shelf to mount them. Also they suffer from not having any enclosure - playing music makes distorted sounds if playing loud, near the radio's max volume. I need new speakers, as small as possible to clearly play 800 Hz tone, easy on the radio. So then the question is: What are the parameters of the speakers mounted in the doors of C5's X7 non-hifi audio system (impedance, power output)?

Cheers!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: C5 X7 Parameters of door speakers

Post by white exec »

If looking around for speakers (without too much depth, as well), worth looking at Pyle Pro.
I have used a good few PDMW5 and PDMW6, and found them extremely good. Used PDMW6 (6-inch) in the XM, and the 5's in several pairs of home units, coupled with piezo tweeters and a simple crossover. Amazingly good.
Full tech spec and dimensions on the Pyle Audio website. Units sold through Amazon, as well.

Realise making recommendations about speakers is as pointless as suggestions for engine oil, tyres or coolant — everyone has their personal favourites. :-k
Chris
raqall

Post by raqall »

white exec wrote: 03 May 2020, 21:26 If looking around for speakers (without too much depth, as well), worth looking at Pyle Pro.
I have used a good few PDMW5 and PDMW6, and found them extremely good. Used PDMW6 (6-inch) in the XM, and the 5's in several pairs of home units, coupled with piezo tweeters and a simple crossover. Amazingly good.
Full tech spec and dimensions on the Pyle Audio website. Units sold through Amazon, as well.

Realise making recommendations about speakers is a pointless as suggestions for engine oil, tyres or coolant — everyone has their personal favourites.
Well I just went ahead and bought a pair of separated Clarion speakers, most expensive they had, for like £70 a set (4 speakers: two tweets and two mid-bass drivers with crossovers) and £50 for a pair of coaxial speakers for rear door. The door pockets have been treated with sound-dampening mats, also applied instead OEM moisture-barrier. Even without swapping factory tweets, driven only by RD4 radio the difference was huge: clear sound, no distortion even at highest volume, and, surprisingly, the rear-view mirror started shaking! - and that's even without dedicated amplifier and sub! I started having second thoughts that I really need a sub-woofer and an amplifier, but the install continues since I bought them already :P

My initial goal was to have clear, "hi-fi", powerfull, warm, distortion-free sound, I'm not interested in having too much bass. The OEM audio system lacks clarity, high/mid tones are muddy and blended. Can't wait to finally have the amp and DSP up and running :P
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The extremely spindly wiring in cars doesn't help at all, but running some decent 79-strand (or better) to door speakers isn't a lot of fun. It's almost as if most car designers just didn't care or know about sound quality. Decent speaker cabling is, after all, about the cheapest and most worthwhile upgrade you can do!
Chris
raqall

Post by raqall »

I was wondering about the impact the cable makes on the audio quality, but running new wire through the door grommet seems cumbersome and not-so-OEM. Also that would require a lot more work to be done, namely dissembling almost entire interior of the car in order to fish the new wiring in, which, I guess, is just not worth the questionable sound difference it might make.

At home I have a set of Danish floor speakers and a Marantz PM6002 amplifier plus Marantz CD-player and PC with dedicated sound card: I did a "test" and I were unable to tell the difference of the audio quality between proper 2.5 mm OFC Copper cabling and some expensive "audiophile" cable my father's audio setup runs on, so I guess that the cabling makes negligible difference, especially in a car setup. Though I must admit that the interconnects can indeed make an audible difference (RCA Cable upgrade form some No-name to proper more expensive ones).

It is all about the thickness of the cable and the material that is made of, same deal is when in comes to power delivery. It is required to wire proper gauge cabling for certain amount of Amps and the distance the cable has to cover. I believe that the cabling in my Citroen is made up of copper, + and - twisted pairs to help reduce noise which is OK for the power that is going to be delivered to the speakers. I hope not to get proven wrong after making my setup complete :P
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

OFC is good for very low resistance, and therefore good power delivery - particularly important for bass and decent dynamic range.

High frequencies SFAIK travel near the surface of each conductor strand, and so multi-strand cable performs better (for HF) than solid. The more strands the better, hence the appearance (in the '70s) of the original QED 79-strand. This is pretty much minimal nowadays, and my last purchase of middle-of-the-road 8mm figure-of-8 red/black cable turned out to be more than 200 strand.

At least, in a car, it's not necessary to think too much about bi-wiring, as it's pretty much standard for each driver, and any tweeters, to have separate wiring!
Chris
raqall

Post by raqall »

white exec wrote: 04 May 2020, 07:54 OFC is good for very low resistance, and therefore good power delivery - particularly important for bass and decent dynamic range.

High frequencies SFAIK travel near the surface of each conductor strand, and so multi-strand cable performs better (for HF) than solid. The more strands the better, hence the appearance (in the '70s) of the original QED 79-strand. This is pretty much minimal nowadays, and my last purchase of middle-of-the-road 8mm figure-of-8 red/black cable turned out to be more than 200 strand.

At least, in a car, it's not necessary to think too much about bi-wiring, as it's pretty much standard for each driver, and any tweeters, to have separate wiring!
Thanks for the heads up, interesting stuff.

But, back to the main question, do you happen to know the parameters of those OEM PSA door speakers?

I bought these, hope that they will "beep" well:
Reference018100DC
Dimension100mm
CompositionPaper Cone - Steel basket
SuspensionFoam
Power40 Watt MAX
Freq. Response90-18 KHz
Sensitivity88 dB (1W/1mt)*
SuspensionFoam
Impedance4 Ohm
Voice Coil19mm
Mounting DimensionsHole Ø: 90mm - Depth: 42mm
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

I don't know about the OEM ones. Perhaps Marc here will.
Quite possible not a listed commercial brand/model, but just a PSA-sourced component, so no spec...
Have a look at your old ones.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't have this info available.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
raqall

Post by raqall »

I installed those speakers ("018100DC") below my saloon's back shelf and they beep just great!