Difficult gear selection

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

Difficult gear selection

Post by batwad »

<sob>
Sometimes I wonder why I put up with this car, but...
I'm having intertermittent trouble changing gear, notably first and second. The gearbox let out a couple of crunches while trying to engage reverse when parking this afternoon.
I replaced the clutch cable last weekend, and it's one of those new-fangled auto-adjusting ones. Are there any other adjustments I can make to aid disengagement, or am I looking at a new clutch?
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

See if you can get your car up on ramps and check the linkages going from the bottom of the gear lever running forward to the gearbox. Can't remember the exact setup on the 306 but on my last 106 I had a bush pop out and gearchange was very difficult until it was fixed. They deteriorate after a while and not too difficult to replace with new ones - just lever them off and press the new ones on again. The other possibility is of course the gearbox itself past its best. On another occasion the same 106 took to popping out of 1st gear - put it to a Peugeot garage to check and they said I needed to have the gearbox out and 1st gear cog replaced at £572. Didn't believe them and 2 weeks later the linkage failed when my wife was driving it to a funeral by herself (mega stress) - towed by the AA to a different Peugeot garage and a new £11 part fitted and the car was perfect again - so it is worth second opinions on these things.
Michael
1996 306 TD 66k
1996 106 1.5d 85k
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Correct measurements for all three linkages are in the haynes manual, I think they are the same for 205/309/306.
Should you purchase new ones, they might come preset to the correct measurements.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Could be the clutch dragging thus the crunch when selecting reverse when you were stationary. Pust the clutch pedal to the floor and allow you foot to slip off the pedal and the pedal jumps this will set the auto adjuster and you will find the clutch bite position will have moved up. Regards PEter